Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: distillation indicating too high a temp
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 23:42
distillation indicating too high a temp

I made propionyl chloride the benzoyl chloride way. Yield was 86% which is almost as good as the paper indicated and was slightly lower because I ran a tad short on the chlorinating reagent (a few percent short).

What is vexing is everything invloved boils a lot higher than the TM (target molecule) and I was collecting between 88-92. The TM is supposed to boil at 80 deg. A few ml came over above 90 that I have kept separate. After that the thermometer started really climbing and I shut it off. The boiling should have been between 78-80 not 88 - 90. My thermometer read boiling acetic at 116-118 so that isn't the problem.

I used a new fractionating system this time: 10 cm vigeraux, wrapped with heating wire and asbestos paper (yeah I have some), then Al foil. I tried to keep the column at the temp of the top of the flask. Could have been a little hotter than that .. I used a point and read thermometer for that part. I distilled slowly collecting less than a drop/second.

Only thing I can think of is to test the still on another pure liquid. Benzene would be ideal .. don't have any but probably can get without too much trouble.

If I have missed something due to stupidity and/or ignorance please don't hesitate to say so. The pure acid chloride is needed failrly soon.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 23:53

What was the flask/column temperature? Were you getting reflux at the top of the column/sidearm?

You shouldn't have needed to heat the column for this low of a temperature and short column, just insulation should have done the trick.
Furch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 02:15

Just out of curiosity... How can you determine the yield if you haven't succeeded in isolating the product yet? *puzzled*

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu
py3rhcl3
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 08:48

What about pressure? Did the paper indicate low(er) pressure? Are you or the authors even on mountain? ;) (Just kidding!).
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 09:45

What was the location of your thermometer bulb?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 09:47

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
I used a new fractionating system this time: 10 cm vigeraux, wrapped with heating wire and asbestos paper (yeah I have some), then Al foil.

Heating wire can not only maintain the heat but also heat up. Using it on a Vigreux column if the boiling point is so low is counterproductive.
Furch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 09:51

I would almost certainly say that the villain in this distillatory drama, as not_important pointed out, is the excessive insulation and warming of the the fractionating column.

Distill slowly, at the same rate as before, without any insulation AT ALL, and let the equilibrium settle in the column at its own pace.

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 10:01

I agree. I never insulate the column. If the column is too hot it would be counterproductive as it would be keeping the high boiling material in a vapor state instead of letting it condense and drop back down through the packing.

Edit: To say that a column should never be insulated or heated would be wrong, however. This is amply covered in Vogel.

[Edited on 16-2-2007 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 23:03

Many of you commented and I'm very grateful for that. The consensus seems to be the column should haven't been heated and from those I'm thinking the vapor may have been overheated. I thought of that too. Pressure was mentioned too. The article was based on 760 but I may have introduced back pressure by the following: long condenser and lengthy vapor trap. Overheating was probably the culprit as nicodem and others said. I will save the heating for high boiling materials. 80 was pretty low huh? Cason & Rappaport went to great lengths about improving separation by equalizing the temps between the top of the flask and the top of the column. I was playing with the system having just completed it. Thing is my simple distillation head doesn't provide room enough for a coldfinger (sticks down too far) and I don't have a variable takeoff .

One last embarassment- I forgot my thermometer adapter was rubber. Changed to cork a little late.. at least I have another and now I've fitted a cork. Everybody needs a cork press.

One last thing, I've had a nasty flu and wish to apologize for recent sensitivity as well as some carelessness.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 23:14
not isolated

I collectd additional product, a few mls...that were indicated at between 90-92. Probably overheated chloride. I kept them separate. They're now isolated. The amount I first collected was 86% of theorectical. The additional would maje the yield 89%. In perfect agreement with the published procedure even with s shortage of a few% of the benzoyl chloride. I bought 500g and used it all. I have a lot of the acid.

TCT/DCM sounds awfully expensive. I have another factionating column on the way. Different design. Should have a lot of 'plates'.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2007 at 00:15

You still need a slight gradient along the column I think, and certainly the top of the column should be no warmer than the bottom.

When I am distilling fairly low boiling materials in one of the Vigreux columns I use a jacket I made. It's a piece of copper pipe cut open lengthwise, with layers of ceramic blanket, aluminium foil, closed cell PE, and another wrapping of foil, going from inner to outer. There's a inverted funnel-shaped 'hat' of copper sheet at the bottom, soldered to the pipe, also covered with insulation. This is on a 600 mm column, about 8 theoretical plates.

The slot in the pipe lets me see into the column, as well as allowing the pipe to fit over the column as it was just a shade too small. The pipe conducts heat well enough that the temperature is fairly constant top to bottom. The 'hat' covers the top of the flask, reducing heat lose from there and funneling some of the heat into the column.

I should have thermocouples or other temperature sensors at several points, but I don't 8-( I thinking of putting in a couple of sensors like these

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM76.html
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4253

for low boiling stuff, up to 120 C.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 00:08
acid chloride synthesis issue

Last year I reported an anomlously hight temp for propionyl chloride made with benzoyl chloride. HC Brown method. here's the thread:
(Edit by Nicodem: Merged both threads and removed the dead link)

Anyway, I ran it again using 3 moles benzoyl chloride to 2 moles acid as recommended in the paper. It's a reactive distillation. I set it up with a high amount of reflux, also as recommended. This is to cut down on the carry over of the reactants with the HCl being generated. So I ran it with a six cell Snyder column and Claisen adapter with a cold-finger on top and the thermometer in the elbow. No jacket, no heating on the column. It didn't flood the column but made a lot of return. here's the anomaly: this time the temperature is too low; its coming off at 55-60 deg.

I ran an IR on the product and got strong absorptions for acyl Cl. I'm thinking maybe the HCl is involved in bring the product over below its boiling point.

Indeed the paper says just this:

"In refractionating the
distillate care should be taken to maintain a very
high reflux ratio at first; otherwise the dissolved
hydrogen chloride tends to carry over a considerable
amount of the acid chloride below its true
boiling point."

So- how can I increase the refulx ratio? Do I need to? The temperature is holding copnstant at 55-57 so its probably pure stuff. I can always re-distill later on. Yield is looking good so far. I had to shut down for an early am trip to the airport.

[Edited on 23-2-2008 by chemrox]

[Edited on 23/2/2008 by Nicodem]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 00:21

So, you have no doubt that the product is propionyl chloride, but you are bothered by the low apparant bp?

I would say, you are right, and you are entraining some propionyl chloride with HCl gas. This suggests that the 6-cell Snyder column is inadequate, and you should replace it with a longer and more efficient column. Try the specific column dimensions and design that was described in the Brown paper. At worst, just condense and collect, eventually the still head temp ought to reach the bp of propionyl chloride, and then keep going till there;ss nothing coming over, at which point there will be nothing in the pot but benzoic acid and a little excess benzoyl chloride. IIRC this procedure yields >90%.

You just want to avoid stripping off propionic acid with the HCl but, that is so much nigher boiling that it seems unlikely.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 06:01

So the worry is needless. The Snyder is a 600 mm column and the six bulbs should be eq to six plates, neh? What would be better? An 800 mm Hempel with packing of beeds or rashig rings? I reduced the efficiency by not insulating my column to get more reflux. Mistake? Anyway, since its coming over low this time and nothing boils lower than the product everything should be great. I hopes so, I used all my Benzoyl Cl for this.

I would tyhink you would need acid chlorides for your amino acid work (?)

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 06:19

Too high a boilup rate could also be a villain here, in conjunction with some or all of other factors mentioned.

Lag the column but do not heat it.

Run 90-95% reflux (1:20 to 1:10) at least till your still head vapor temp is stable and where it ought to be. Then you can gingerly lower the RR but only as long as the vapor temp stays stable. If it changes return to a higher RR.

chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 13:32
column efficiency report

Anyone interested in distillation columns should read this paper. What I learned is twofold: My Snyder columns are very efficient but only at the proper reflux ratio. The efficiency drops off rapidly when they approach flooding. So I used the best column I have for the job but I sabotaged it's effectiveness. Not to the detriment of the project however since my bp stayed below the bp of the TM. This could all have been handled in PMs but I thought others might benefit from the experiment since acid chlorides are something we all need from time to time and fractioanl distillations are part of the chemist's life unless he's one of the bug-soup designers; yechh!

[Edited on 23-2-2008 by chemrox]

Attachment: Dist Columns Efficiency Test Report.pdf (595kB)
This file has been downloaded 848 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 20:50

An efficient column is one with a very good exchange between the liquid and vapor phases, and the measure of efficiency is HETP, right? Of course efficiency drops off as flooding is approached, because the liquid phase overwhelms the vapor phase.

But flooding is a matter of column capacity (which is a function of diameter and free volume and also depends on the throughput and the RR being correct. A properly sized column of a given free volume, with the correct boilup rate, will not flood even at 100% reflux, right?

All discussions of column efficiency and parameters assume equilibration, and equilibration can't possibly occur when a stream of a gas like HCl is admixed with the vapor and liquid. So the best you can do is to condense all your target material and let the HCl go. That's 100% reflux. Eventually the HCl will slow and then the column can start to equilibrate. Then and only then can you fractionate. Until then you may as well be doing a simple distillation.

For tolerance of a high boilup rate you need an Oldershaw column, preferably a 12 plate one or more, and such columns are not cheap! The boilup rate can be higher because they are mostly empty! But at every plate the vapor is forced through a layer of liquid. Liquid is constantly descending, vapor constantly ascending. When equilibrated (boilup and RR in steady states) the gradient of lowest boiling vapor at top and highest boiling liquid at bottom has formed. And that is when you can slowly start taking product off. As long as you do not disturb the equilibrium you can just let the still head temp be your guide as to when to take a cut.

Conversely, Hempel columns with inefficient packing such as glass spheres, have very little relative free space and therefore can only tolerate very low boilup rates and RRs. Which is why burl saddles are better, Raschig rings are better etc. Snyder and Vigreaux columns fall in between the extremes of Oldershaw and Hempel.

And no, I have not yet read yhe paper you posted but yes, I will do so, thanks.

Distillation procedures are a great place to cultivate patience. They simply can't be rushed.

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 02:47

i generally take a boiling point of fractions after the distillation has finished, just a few mL in a test tube with a thermocouple, this isolates your distillate from your complex system, thermocouples are much better for accuracy. i don't know what other people techniques are but i boil the sample to fairly vigorous then read the temperature, the point at which boiling stops is usually fairly sharp, i take this as the minimum bp.
The temperature at your still head is a measure of many things and in a perfect world yes it should correspond to the bp of your liquid however just because it doesn't does not mean that the fraction you are distilling is tainted or impure, unless of course the second test of the bp confirms the gross increase experienced at the top of the column.
10C is more than a 10% increase on what's expected and i feel this increase could not be reached by back-pressures within the system unless your gear is grossly mismatched. The heating tape is an effective tool for small columns and small systems as it allows you to quickly bring the temperature of the column to a point close to that which the vapour would heat it to ordinarily, thus saving time, however it insulates poorly and once your column is at equilibrium stablity is everything. It surely should never be used once the column is at equilibrium because this defeats entirely the point of the column, namely to separate the point at which vapour is produced (your flask) and the point at which that vapour is recondensed to liquid. By adding heat to the system (in the column) you're effectively moving your flask to the still head, you may as well not use your column in some respects.

I find taping two small thermocouples adhered to the column with al foil tape a very useful tool. At any one point during your seperation, if you're experiencing something odd at the stillhead, you can plug these into your digital thermometer and understand what the column is doing. I wrap insulation over them and they remain permanently part of the column. They generally lag around 2C to the temperature inside the column when the column is experiencing a heating or cooling gradient however once stable they accurately represent the temeprature inside the column (assuming a glass column).

There however could also be a maximum boiling azeotrope system but as i am unfamiliar with the chemicals or reaction i will leave the notion of this for others to speculate on.

Go To Top