Stirring rod

From Sciencemadness Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A glass stirring rod, also called glass rod, stirring rod or stir rod, is a piece of laboratory equipment used to mix chemicals and liquids for laboratory purposes. They are usually made of solid glass, about the thickness and slightly longer than a drinking straw, with rounded ends.


Stir rods are generally made of borosilicate glass, polypropylene or PTFE. They are usually between 10 and 40 centimeters in length and about 5 mm thick.

Rubber policemen can be placed on stir rods.


Can be purchased from lab suppliers, and in general are very cheap.

DIY stirring rod

Glass bead kits often come as glass rods, which can be used out of the box. Alternatively, you can make one by sealing a glass tube from a broken glassware at one or both ends. Broken or damaged pipettes are a good choice.

See also


Relevant Sciencemadness threads