Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Most extreme compounds known to man

Pages:  1  

JibbyDee - 17-12-2011 at 10:59

I like to know examples of compounds that exhibit a specific property more than any other known compound, so I can use it as a reference point. I'll throw in my knowledge, can you add your own knowledge of the most extreme compounds. If you know multiple extreme compounds list your top 3, in order of descending extremity.

Strongest Taste
Denatonium Benzoate

They add trace amounts of this to denatured alcohol to instill in it, an extremely bitter taste which would deter most people from drinking it.

Smelliest
Ethanethiol

According to the wiki page, this compound held the 2000 Guinness world record for smelliest compound. I'm sure there are smellier ones though.

Most Flammable
Chlorine Trifluoride

From what I read, the nazis were interested in this compounds potential as an incendiary but concluded that it was too dangerous to handle and abandoned it.

Most Explosive
Octanitrocubane

From what I've read, cubanes cubic shape allows it to pack very well so octanitrocubane contains a much greater amount of nitro groups per cubic centimeter than other nitro explosives such as TNT.

Most Acidic
Fluoroantimonic Acid

An antimony-fluorine complex which is supposedly 2 x 10^19 times more acidic than pure sulfuric acid. I like this one because its the first time I've seen antimony used to create a property that as of yet, cannot be produced with other elements.

Carborane Acid

From what I've read, trifluoromethane sulfonic acid was the strongest acid known up until carborane acid was discovered.

Trifluoromethanesulfonic Acid

I like to think of this compound as sulfuric acid on steroids. Fluorinating a weak acid like acetic acid results in trifluoroacetic acid, the strongest known carboxylic acid which has a pKa of -0.25. Fluorinating a strong acid such as sulphuric acid results in fluorosulphonic acid which has a pKa of -14. Attach a methyl group so that triple the amount of fluorine atoms can be attached and you get trifluoromethanesulphonic acid which has a pKa of -16.

I have way more to add to that list but I'll leave it at that for now.

[Edited on 17-12-2011 by JibbyDee]

Bot0nist - 17-12-2011 at 11:57

Chlorine Trifluoride isn't flammable at all. It just causes most fuels to auto ignite. It has a rating of 0 for flammability on its MSDS.

Cool thread concept though.

Adas - 17-12-2011 at 11:59

That's very interesting topic. Especially the first one.

Bot0nist - 17-12-2011 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
That's very interesting topic. Especially the first one.

Its in almost everything as a bitterant. Check your "100% Acetone" bottle's ingredients.

simba - 17-12-2011 at 13:00

I have been wondering for quite some time if there is any compound that has 4/4/4 in NFPA 704 danger classification.

If anyone knows, let us know also.

bbartlog - 17-12-2011 at 15:58

The Germans didn't abandon ClF3. It was never successfully weaponized but they produced multi-ton quantities of the stuff. The Russians eventually captured the factory, I believe.
I can't recall seeing a 4/4/4 danger classification. But good old hydrazine is 4/4/3.

simba - 17-12-2011 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
The Germans didn't abandon ClF3. It was never successfully weaponized but they produced multi-ton quantities of the stuff. The Russians eventually captured the factory, I believe.
I can't recall seeing a 4/4/4 danger classification. But good old hydrazine is 4/4/3.

Yeah, I've seen quite a couple of chemicals with 4/4/3, like diborane, germane etc, but never a 4/4/4.

MagicJigPipe - 17-12-2011 at 18:21

Quote:
Its in almost everything as a bitterant. Check your "100% Acetone" bottle's ingredients.

Checked it. No denatonium benzoate.

hissingnoise - 18-12-2011 at 02:29

Quote:
Most Explosive

Least meaningful . . .

blogfast25 - 18-12-2011 at 06:08

Also quite 'extreme': XeO4

phlogiston - 18-12-2011 at 07:10

dicyanoacetylene => the hottest known flame temperature (5260K / 4900C in oxygen)

3-Nitrobenzanthrone => most carcinogenic compound known (identified in diesel exhaust)
1,8-dinitropyrene => second most carcinogenic compound known (also from diesel exhaust...)

neptunium - 18-12-2011 at 08:22

nitrogene triiodide has been poorly studied because of its well known sensitivity
copper acetylide is the only explosive as far as i could find that doesnt produce gasses when detonated.

tungsten carbide melts at 2800c and boil at 6000!
lithium fluoride is probably the most stable salt i`ve seen

Bot0nist - 18-12-2011 at 08:45

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
Quote:

Checked it. No denatonium benzoate.

simba - 18-12-2011 at 08:50

Fluorine (F2) is the strongest oxidizing agent if I'm not wrong.

nezza - 18-12-2011 at 09:30

I thought lead azide has the fastest velocity of propagation for non-nuclear explosives. Does Octanitrocubane beat it ?.

neptunium - 18-12-2011 at 10:07

yup nothing beats good old fluorine ... violents reaction garranteed with H2 even with liquid hydrogen at 20 K when F2 is solid

AndersHoveland - 18-12-2011 at 10:50

The two most oxidizing compounds that has been isolated contain the AgF2[+] or NiF3[+] ions. From what I know, researchers have been unable to determine which is stronger because it is so difficult to measure. These ions are so oxidizing that they can spontaneously oxidize chlorine to all the way to ClF6[+].

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=Get...

Technically, the "strongest" acid yet prepared is dodeca-fluorocarborane acid, http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/news041115-5.htm...

B(CF3)4[-] is the probably the most inert anion, with the least interaction towards "naked" hydrogen ions.

zoombafu - 18-12-2011 at 13:51

The smallest (neutral) atom is the hydrogen atom. Bet you guys didn't see that one coming.

plante1999 - 18-12-2011 at 18:30

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Also quite 'extreme': XeO4
I already read somthing about this compound and XeO3 , but how the hell , A compound of oxygen and an inert gas can exist at 0degree C....

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by plante1999]

neptunium - 19-12-2011 at 05:09

F2 is such an energetic oxidizer it will capture an electron from ALL other elements exept Helium , Neon and Argon...

ScienceSquirrel - 19-12-2011 at 07:04

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Chlorine Trifluoride isn't flammable at all. It just causes most fuels to auto ignite. It has a rating of 0 for flammability on its MSDS.

Cool thread concept though.

It is a tad better than that, not many things are hypergolic with asbestos! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride#Rocket_pro...

Dimethyl Mercury

paulr1234 - 19-12-2011 at 10:58

Most potent inorganic neurotoxin (I think Botulism is actually the most potent neurotoxin but given that it is a naturally occurring protein, I'm not sure where it should sit in a chemical taxonomy).

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Bot0nist - 19-12-2011 at 11:49

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111109111536.ht...
http://www.neatorama.com/2008/08/22/5-really-weird-things-ab...

Water, while extremely common to us, is really rather weird.

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

phlogiston - 19-12-2011 at 14:12

The hardest material known: Aggregated diamond nanorods

simba - 19-12-2011 at 15:47

Quote: Originally posted by paulr1234  
Most potent inorganic neurotoxin (I think Botulism is actually the most potent neurotoxin but given that it is a naturally occurring protein, I'm not sure where it should sit in a chemical taxonomy).

Botulinum is in fact the most acutely toxic substance known. Less than a kilo is enough to kill the whole planet.

neptunium - 19-12-2011 at 17:22

well thats more poisonous than plutonium now isnt it!

paulr1234 - 19-12-2011 at 22:04

I think I'd be willing to hold a small piece of Plutonium in my ungloved hand for a second, I don't think I'd do that with a drop of Dimethyl Mercury:

http://www.fortfreedom.org/p22.htm

The former would make a great picture for Facebook !

AndersHoveland - 20-12-2011 at 20:21

Quote: Originally posted by shivas  

Botulinum is in fact the most acutely toxic substance known. Less than a kilo is enough to kill the whole planet.

Yes, it is a shame researchers have not yet developed a chemical synthesis for this lethal enzyme.

Bot0nist - 20-12-2011 at 20:55

Such a shame. (sarcasm)

bquirky - 21-12-2011 at 07:25

1 kilo wow that is truly amazing.. i wonder why no one has weoponised it.. although that might explain some bad takeaway ive had ;)

HexJam - 21-12-2011 at 07:35

I might be mistaken but I though Batrachotoxin (poison arrow frog venom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batrachotoxin ) was the most potent neurotoxin... I still wouldn't like to try my chances with diethyl mercury like hahaha

simba - 21-12-2011 at 08:44

Quote: Originally posted by HexJam  
I might be mistaken but I though Batrachotoxin (poison arrow frog venom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batrachotoxin ) was the most potent neurotoxin... I still wouldn't like to try my chances with diethyl mercury like hahaha

The lethal dose of batrachotoxin is around 100 micrograms, while the lethal dose for botulinum is around 0.1 microgram.

Endo - 21-12-2011 at 15:33

It looks like Tert-butyl hydroperoxide rates a 4 in each of the NFPA diamonds, as well as the OX (oxidizer) warning.

Of course we are talking the pure substance and not the typical 70% in water which is much more stable.

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/2692

Panache - 21-12-2011 at 17:01

I'm fairy sure (because i remember reading it, lol), that the flavour of peas is the most potent, 3- methoxy-2-isobutyl pyrazine being 'tasteable' in peas albeit only there in ppb quantities, this opposed to 'smellable' chemicals which are different.

i may remember it incorrectly but hey you do a google search for 'pea molecule' and see what you get, thats another extreme altogether pardon the pun. i changed it to 'sweetpea' and got a bunch of hits regarding soppy romantic natural ethereal lovey subjects.

Sedit - 21-12-2011 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by bquirky  
1 kilo wow that is truly amazing.. i wonder why no one has weoponised it.. although that might explain some bad takeaway ive had ;)

I'm sure they have and I'm sure its unworthy, weapons of this nature are hard to make stronger first of all and making a kilo of a substance that could destroy the world is not on many people to-do list.

Its like the super potent opiates as weapons, they are just to hard to handle to be considered viable weapons. Sure they have been used in Russia during terrorist ordeals but there is just not much use in super potent weapons other then fear, that's why we have never seen another use of the Atomic bomb till this day. Total annihilation goes against what one normally looks for in the conclusion of any conflict, we normally look for total conformity, destroying our opposition is just a sad side effect of oppressing there will power.

ThatchemistKid - 21-12-2011 at 21:35

Dicyanoacetylene, highest flame temp achieved by burning an organic compound when it is burned with oxygen. 4990 degrees C when burned in oxygen, 5242 degrees C when burned in ozone.

neptunium - 22-12-2011 at 08:54

how about DNA ? thats an extremely complexe molecule ...the most complexe as far as we know...so far

CZip - 22-12-2011 at 09:17

What about huge molecules from termosets like bakelite? Product can by made from ONE molecule (for ex. old iron - you know the thing which can your mom use for making your colthes flat)

neptunium - 22-12-2011 at 12:51

these are polymeres...they dont count as complexe its the same sequences of atoms...rite?

Bot0nist - 23-12-2011 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
these are polymeres...they dont count as complexe its the same sequences of atoms...rite?

"DNA consists of two long polymers of simple units called nucleotides, with backbones made of sugars and phosphate groups joined by ester bonds. These two strands run in opposite directions to each other and are therefore anti-parallel. Attached to each sugar is one of four types of molecules called nucleobases (informally, bases). It is the sequence of these four nucleobases along the backbone that encodes information." -wiki.

A great example neptunium, probably one of the best. This is a great and in depth wiki article on DNA. A great read.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA

[Edited on 23-12-2011 by Bot0nist]

White Yeti - 24-12-2011 at 08:09

Does graphene count? It's one of the most extreme allotropes of carbon known, with a thermal conductivity exceeding that of diamond and a tensile strength exceeding that of the carbon nanotube.

AJKOER - 24-12-2011 at 19:06

STRONGEST SMELL

T-butyl mercaptan blends which are added to odorless natural gas (cooking uses) and to serve warning of gas leaks.

Note, butanethiol (butyl mercaptan) derivatives are present in skunk secretion.

BromicAcid - 24-12-2011 at 19:18

There is an interesting article here on Butyl Isocyanide regarding the unfathomable odor. Having smelled both butyl isocyanide and methyl mercaptan I think that the butyl isocyanide wins the prize but the methyl mercaptan gets points for staying power. Still, we could go on about stench for hours, does anyone know the most phosphorescent compound by chance?

White Yeti - 24-12-2011 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
...does anyone know the most phosphorescent compound by chance?...

Do you mean longest lasting? Or highest brightness under a blacklight? Or both?

plante1999 - 24-12-2011 at 20:02

I think he wanted to said the brigthess...

We need to said clearly wath we want to said if we want to be understand.... Personnaly I need some work in english grammar.

[Edited on 25-12-2011 by plante1999]

BromicAcid - 25-12-2011 at 08:55

I wasn't being specific because the segue was meant only to put the topic back on track since there is already a whole thread devoted to the worst of stinks. Phosphorescence just seemed something that is able to be quantified where someone may have known some 'winning' compounds off the top of their heads.

Alastair - 26-12-2011 at 00:15

Bronopol
An effective antimicrobial, whose effective use-concentration which can be as low as 0.0025%.

I think its pretty badass, but not incredibly.

200px-Bronopol_skeletal.svg.png - 4kB

neptunium - 29-12-2011 at 08:12

Technetium is a fascinating element to me ....with 43 protons its the lowest atomic number with no stable isotope...Tc99 has the longest half life of 4.2e6 y.....baffling!

neptunium - 29-12-2011 at 08:15

1,5 pentane diamine can be smell at very low concentration if i am not mistaken..cadaverine is its common name for a reason

hissingnoise - 29-12-2011 at 08:53

Don't forget its equally malodourous cousin putrescine (butanediamine) - sometimes noticed at the very moment it's least expected --- or wanted? :(

neptunium - 29-12-2011 at 09:02

lol!! indeed!

phlogiston - 29-12-2011 at 15:02

A good contender for the most expensive element must be flerovium (officially still named Ununquadium, Uuq, element 114). The production of 12 atoms of it took a year to produce at a facility that burns approximately 100 million US dollars a year.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by phlogiston]

hissingnoise - 30-12-2011 at 03:05

And the race is now on for measurable quantities of the expected super, super rare holyshitium!

neptunium - 30-12-2011 at 07:44

theres an old theory about a valley of stability beyond element 120 ... hollyshitium might be in that area

Elawr - 19-1-2012 at 22:11

Tellurium hexafluoride, a toxic, unstable compound which is gaseous at room temperature with density greater than 10grams/liter. I know of no other denser vapor. You could almost float a boat in pool of this stuff!

UnintentionalChaos - 19-1-2012 at 22:42

Quote: Originally posted by Elawr  
Tellurium hexafluoride, a toxic, unstable compound which is gaseous at room temperature with density greater than 10grams/liter. I know of no other denser vapor. You could almost float a boat in pool of this stuff!

WF6 has you beat. :D It's just barely a gas at room temp, though.

GreenD - 20-1-2012 at 07:21

I'm not sure which one but cryptands or clathrochelates chelate metal ions so irreversibly that they can never escape, except if you denature or destroy the organic molecule. Hence "Crypt"-and and "Clathr-ochelates. Clath means bar or cage.

(Think EDTA but with a vengence)

[Edited on 20-1-2012 by GreenD]

GreenD - 20-1-2012 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Total annihilation goes against what one normally looks for in the conclusion of any conflict, we normally look for total conformity, destroying our opposition is just a sad side effect of oppressing there will power.

You need someone left over to buy your subsidized corn and little trinkets... Go capitalism!

rstar - 20-1-2012 at 09:13

Is there a gas so-called "Oxygen" ?
I recently heard that it acts as a good oxidant , but some say another gas (i think they called it "flauriine" or "florine" somewhat) acts much better oxidant. :P

neptunium - 20-1-2012 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by rstar  
Is there a gas so-called "Oxygen" ?
I recently heard that it acts as a good oxidant , but some say another gas (i think they called it "flauriine" or "florine" somewhat) acts much better oxidant. :P

yup been talked about at the begining already...

AndersHoveland - 20-1-2012 at 22:56

What about the most extreme aphrodesiac compound? :D

There is a plant grown in Southeast Asia called Tongkat ali (Eurycoma Longifolia). Researchers from the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Malaysia, did tests which suggested that the root of Tongkat ali stimulates sexual arousal in rats. The Asian Congress of Sexology published a paper in 2002 showing that consumption of the plant increased testosterone levels in humans.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0367326X10...

neptunium - 21-1-2012 at 08:11

too bad it wont grow in my back yard..

AndersHoveland - 21-1-2012 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
too bad it wont grow in my back yard..

don't worry, there is always ecstacy or rohypnol :D

Bufadienolides can be derived from toad venom, but can lead to side effects including chest pain, abdominal pain and vomiting,
disrupting the normal rhythm of the heart, and sometimes death.

Cantharidin is a powerful irritant vesicant (blister-inducing) substance obtained from blister beetles. It is claimed to have aphrodisiac properties, as a result of its irritant effects upon the body's genitourinary tract, and can result in poisoning if ingested.

White Yeti - 22-1-2012 at 10:35

"giver of bad advice"

How fitting!:D

AirCowPeaCock - 22-1-2012 at 12:50

Quote: Originally posted by shivas  

Amazing that means 143 nano grams can kill one person!

Mr. Wizard - 22-1-2012 at 22:43

Mono atomic Hydrogen combining to form H2. The reaction of H + H =H2 +422 kJ energy is more powerful than any other chemical reaction per unit mass. Some work has been done studying small amounts of H monatomic gas at very low (< 1K) temperatures and using a strong magnetic field. The gas has been used in Atomic hydrogen welding, but is generated at the tips of Tungsten electrodes in an arc, and only lasts until it strikes the cooler surfaces of the 'work', where it combines to produce it's prodigious energy. As a comparison 2 H2(g) + O2(g) → 2 H2O(l) + 572 kJ (286 kJ/mol) which weighs 36 grams per Mole of product, or 18 times as heavy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

http://www.weldingarticle.com/atomic-hydrogen-welding/atomic...

and 'cough' ;-)
http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/AtomicH/atomicH.html

http://www.science.uva.nl/research/quant/sph.html

AndersHoveland - 24-1-2012 at 00:05

Would it theoretically be possible to stabilize large quantities of monoatomic hydrogen using a powerful superconducting magnet and very cold temperatures?

AirCowPeaCock - 24-1-2012 at 08:27

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Wizard  
Mono atomic Hydrogen combining to form H2. The reaction of H + H =H2 +422 kJ energy is more powerful than any other chemical reaction per unit mass. Some work has been done studying small amounts of H monatomic gas at very low (< 1K) temperatures and using a strong magnetic field. The gas has been used in Atomic hydrogen welding, but is generated at the tips of Tungsten electrodes in an arc, and only lasts until it strikes the cooler surfaces of the 'work', where it combines to produce it's prodigious energy. As a comparison 2 H2(g) + O2(g) → 2 H2O(l) + 572 kJ (286 kJ/mol) which weighs 36 grams per Mole of product, or 18 times as heavy.

and 'cough' ;-)

Is that where alot of the energy released from Hydride, alkali and alkaline earth metals reacting with water come from?

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by AirCowPeaCock]

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by AirCowPeaCock]

Mr. Wizard - 24-1-2012 at 10:14

I think the energy of alkaline hydrides reacting with water is from the alkaline metal combining with oxygen provided by the water. When an alkaline hydride reacts with water the existing bonds between the hydrogen and the metal have to be broken, and the energy of breaking the bonds in water also have to be broken. The 'bottom line' total of energy liberated no doubt includes the formation of H2 as well as alkaline oxides, hydroxides, hydrated hydroxides and other products far beyond my knowledge.

This 'entry' to the extreme compounds list was because of the high energy available from this simple and ubiquitous allotrope molecule. It is mostly unrecognized by most because it is so hard to keep it in from combining we never see it. Its energy density, energy, reaction (burning?) temperature , and difficulty of isolation are all extreme.

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by Mr. Wizard]

AirCowPeaCock - 24-1-2012 at 10:44

It is pretty cool. I never knew that about mono-atomic hydrogen, I never really consider it much, because it hardly exists in everyday...stuff. the closest we really get is H- and protons. But now thinking about it again, in hydride reactions, its really H- and H+ so would it have the same energy?

Methyl.Magic - 24-1-2012 at 14:16

The most acidic compound is neither the SbF6 nor the perfluorocarborane but Hydroheliumic acid HeH+ with a pKa of -60 !!!! But it's more a physical compound than a chemical one ...

The MOST HEAVY is Osmium.

The MOST LIGHT is aerogel.

The MOST TOXIC is polonium or botulinium

The MOST COLD is liquid Helium

The MOST BASIC is probably t-Butylcesium if it exists.

The organotellurium have the palm of the most putrid compound. Chemistry of telluride cannot be really investigated because chemists wouldnt work with this element anymore since they lost their wife and their friends because when some telluride compound are in the body they slowly diffuses a stroug garlic odour out of the skin that can lasts up to one year according to some source I've forgotten...

What is the most hard, the best reducing agent, the most complexe one, the most ?

AndersHoveland - 24-1-2012 at 14:47

Quote: Originally posted by Methyl.Magic  
The most acidic compound is Hydroheliumic acid HeH+ with a pKa of -60 !!!!

It may be the most "acidic" molecular species, but the positively charged ions cannot be considered a compound itself, especially in light of the fact that it would protonate any known anion. HeH+ has never been isolated into a condensed compound.

The MOST BASIC is probably t-Butylcesium if it exists.

I would have guessed cesium boride, but the compound sodium boride does not seem to exist, at least not in the proportion Na3B. This should not really be too surprising. Potassium nitride is also extremely basic (equivalent to at least >26 pKa), but only small quantities have ever been prepared because the compound is not very stable (nitrogen gas will not react with potassium at any temperature). Another unusual organic compound, 1,8-bis(hexamethyltriaminophosphazenyl)naphthalene, has unusually high affinity for protons, and as such has a pK of 29.9 in acetonitrile! also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_tetramethylpiperidide

Trying to determine the "strongest" base is somewhat relative, because compounds can be "basic" in different ways. Similarly, reducing agents can also be reducing in different ways. For example, potassium will easily reduce lithium chloride, but it is lithium that can reduce nitrogen gas, not potassium.

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by AndersHoveland]

AirCowPeaCock - 24-1-2012 at 14:50

does Hydroheliumic acid even exist? I got no Google hits. Source?

AirCowPeaCock - 24-1-2012 at 14:56

Scratch that, I found it.

White Yeti - 24-1-2012 at 15:19

There's an "edit" button in the right hand corner of every post for the first 48 hours, you can delete your post(s) if you want.

Fusionfire - 25-1-2012 at 05:19

and 'cough' ;-)

Very interesting. Anyone have this pdf about atomic hydrogen?

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01392a011

rstar - 25-1-2012 at 10:15

I think the strongest base is n-Butyllithium

eh... don't laugh...
..I might be wrong !!:P

Adas - 25-1-2012 at 11:03

What about n-Pentylrubidium? :D JK

turd - 25-1-2012 at 12:00

The organotellurium have the palm of the most putrid compound. Chemistry of telluride cannot be really investigated because chemists wouldnt work with this element anymore since they lost their wife and their friends because when some telluride compound are in the body they slowly diffuses a stroug garlic odour out of the skin that can lasts up to one year according to some source I've forgotten...

That's mostly old wives' tales. Yes they're bad, but not that bad. The body gets rid of Te compounds quite easily (easier than Se).

rstar - 26-1-2012 at 03:56

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  

What about n-Pentylrubidium? :D JK

n-hexylcesium and n-heptylfrancium ? ;)

AirCowPeaCock - 26-1-2012 at 12:02

n-octylununennium? :P

[Edited on 1-26-2012 by AirCowPeaCock]

GreenD - 26-1-2012 at 12:43

TROLL

White Yeti - 26-1-2012 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
TROLL

Hold on, don't jump to conclusions just yet.

Mr. Wizard - 27-1-2012 at 09:19

Fusionfire, I hadn't seen that interesting pdf about atomic hydrogen. I found a page in my McGraw / Hill Encyclopedia of Chemistry 2nd Edition, that gives104.2 kcal / mole at 25 degrees C which corresponds well with the value in your reference. Converting from joules it is a close match.

monatomic hydrogen scan.jpg - 169kB

Fusionfire - 27-1-2012 at 10:40

Fusionfire, I hadn't seen that interesting pdf about atomic hydrogen. I found a page in my McGraw / Hill Encyclopedia of Chemistry 2nd Edition, that gives104.2 kcal / mole at 25 degrees C which corresponds well with the value in your reference. Converting from joules it is a close match.

Hmmm, fascinating scan you provided. I'm going to buy that book when I get back from my holidays :)

It is clear that anyone who makes atomic hydrogen not only makes a powerful fuel/explosive/energy store, but also a very useful precursor chemical that can be used to produce all sorts of reactive products (reduce reactive metals, H2O2, produce hydrides, etc.)

Care to start a thread in a suitable sub-forum (I think technochemistry) about ideas to try to stabilise atomic hydrogen?

Would continuous irradiation with photons of the right frequency work if the goal is to keep the hydrogen atoms as positive hydrogen ions + free electrons?

Mr. Wizard - 27-1-2012 at 17:00

I bought the book from some guy at a swap meet for next to nothing, and I see from a quick search of the name you can still buy it for next to nothing ($3.97) It is a fairly large book, filled with all kinds of esoteric information. I found the information about the monatomic hydrogen after my first post on this thread.

I don't care to or feel qualified to start a thread about it, but if want to feel free.

The method used now to isolate the material is to use the atoms that have their electron and proton spins aligned so as to make it possible to keep the atoms aligned in a magnetic field. Since atoms sharing the same magnetic spin or alignment cannot share the same orbital they can't combine to form H2. I can't say I understand the Pauli exclusion principle but it is based on it. I think its like bar magnets repelling like poles. When the bar magnets flip over the H atoms can combine, with the protons sharing the two electrons that have their spins in opposite directions. The spinning electron generate a magnetic pole. Anyone with more understanding please explain it better.

Fusionfire - 27-1-2012 at 22:42

I bought the book from some guy at a swap meet for next to nothing, and I see from a quick search of the name you can still buy it for next to nothing ($3.97) It is a fairly large book, filled with all kinds of esoteric information. I found the information about the monatomic hydrogen after my first post on this thread.

I don't care to or feel qualified to start a thread about it, but if want to feel free.

The method used now to isolate the material is to use the atoms that have their electron and proton spins aligned so as to make it possible to keep the atoms aligned in a magnetic field. Since atoms sharing the same magnetic spin or alignment cannot share the same orbital they can't combine to form H2. I can't say I understand the Pauli exclusion principle but it is based on it. I think its like bar magnets repelling like poles. When the bar magnets flip over the H atoms can combine, with the protons sharing the two electrons that have their spins in opposite directions. The spinning electron generate a magnetic pole. Anyone with more understanding please explain it better.

OK I'll go start a thread in the technochemistry forum so we don't hijack this thread.

Methyl.Magic - 28-1-2012 at 19:09

eh... don't laugh...

No, tert-butyllithium is the strongest base available. Since n-butylpotassium can be made via the schlosser method I think n-butylcesium can be made too ?

Zan Divine - 30-1-2012 at 11:03

Hardest - Rhenium diboride >10 Mohs

Cyclopentyl cesium ought to be pretty basic. It's not really possible to name the most basic.

I think the strongest acids known presently may be the carborane superacids.

[Edited on 30-1-2012 by Zan Divine]

Adas - 30-1-2012 at 12:29

Quote: Originally posted by Zan Divine  
I think the strongest acids known presently may be the carborane superacids.
[Edited on 30-1-2012 by Zan Divine]

Yeah, and the cool thing about it is, that they are also very gentle. Perfect H+ donor for making AP :D

Formatik - 4-2-2012 at 23:57

Superfluid helium (beyond "liquid helium") is one of the most extreme liquids known:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6UJbwxBZI&NR

Here is an aluminium boat floating on sulfur hexafluoride (d= > 6g/L). The gas is completely harmless to inhale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJTq2xQiQ0

Phantom - 9-2-2012 at 13:37

Quote: Originally posted by nezza  
I thought lead azide has the fastest velocity of propagation for non-nuclear explosives. Does Octanitrocubane beat it ?.

Of course. Lead Azide is in the middle with his 5180 m/s @ 4.0 g/cc.

ONC : 10100m/s

tatapouette - 17-11-2012 at 17:14

eh... don't laugh...

No, tert-butyllithium is the strongest base available. Since n-butylpotassium can be made via the schlosser method I think n-butylcesium can be made too ?

It is known that t-BuLi is stronger than n-BuLi. But, as already said, for these extreme compounds, measure of pKa is difficult, if not impossible. Maybe another way to measure the strength of these compounds could be their rate of deprotonating the solvent in which they are used (even if pKa is not a cinetic, but thermodynamic parameter...).
For example, it is said in wiki (and ref herein (even if not checked ^^ )) that :
- n-BuLi has a half-life of 153 hours in Et2O at 20°C ;
- whereas t-BuLi's is less than 30 minutes !!

Talking about BuLi and stuff, I was wondering : as n-BuLi seems to be 'easily' made in industry by :
n-BuX + Li(0) -> n-BuLi + LiX
with X = Cl or Br

couldn't n-BuNa or n-BuK (or others) be made using the same way ?
If so, how come these aren't produced ? Does anyone have an answer ?

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by tatapouette]

Eddygp - 18-11-2012 at 01:05

Dicyanoacetylene hottest flame of any chemical.

Eddygp - 18-11-2012 at 03:02

Sorry, last one was already written before. Titin, the largest protein known to man, with a molar mass of 2 million or 3 million.

Zan Divine - 18-11-2012 at 10:35

Only stable species are included in this list

Highest catenation observed with nitrogen atoms = 5 in the pentazenium cation (also known as pentanitrogen)

Highest thermal conductivity, He II

Metal with the highest specific heat, Lithium

Metal with the highest Young's modulus, Osmium

Most refractory material, Tantalum hafnium carbide (Ta4HfC5), with a melting point of 4215 °C.

Highest coordination number in a planar species, decacoordinated molecular wheels anions, Ta©B10− and Nb©B10− (these are doubly aromatic! they have six delocalized pi electrons and another 10 delocalized sigma electrons)

Highest coordination number in a non-planar species, Thorium dimethylaminodiboranate, Th(H3BNMe2BH3)4. The thorium atom is coordinated to 15 hydrogens.

Highest specific impulse (isp), Metastable Helium

[Edited on 11/18/2012 by Zan Divine]

weschem - 18-11-2012 at 11:31

Quote: Originally posted by simba  

I read just a pint is enough to kill the entire planet. Kind of scary that it can be found almost anywhere and rich white women get it injected into their faces. :D

Nitrous2000 - 25-1-2016 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  
Superfluid helium (beyond "liquid helium") is one of the most extreme liquids known:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6UJbwxBZI&NR

Here is an aluminium boat floating on sulfur hexafluoride (d= > 6g/L). The gas is completely harmless to inhale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJTq2xQiQ0

Hardly harmless to inhale. It is both an asphyxiant and a gas that is not easily cleared from the lungs.

Tsjerk - 26-1-2016 at 05:08

As asphyxiating as nitrogen and while typing this post I cleared my lungs of gas multiple times...

Praxichys - 26-1-2016 at 08:11

Quote: Originally posted by Nitrous2000  

Hardly harmless to inhale. It is both an asphyxiant and a gas that is not easily cleared from the lungs.
This is a myth. Turbulence from air passing through the tiny tubes in your lungs would effectively mix the gases. They will not separate again because kinetic diffusion is far stronger than their gravitational buoyancy in each other.

Even if you took a gigantic breath of SF6 followed by normal breaths that did not fully purge it, low blood oxygen would cause you to feel out of breath and want to breathe harder, expelling it anyway.

Pages:  1