Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Electrolysis to produce red iron oxide Question

new2chem - 3-10-2012 at 13:38

Hello everybody, I'm totally new to chemistry, but I'm trying to learn. In three months I'll be taking Chemistry I and II, so soon I'll be able to call myself a beginner. Until then I'm doing small experiments and educating myself. Would one of you helpful and friendly chemistry guys/gals explain to me what is happening during electrolysis. I'm using table salt and regular water. I have two old screws attached to 9 volts immersed in this solution. I see a reaction, but what exactly is happening?
Anybody?

hydrolysis.png - 507kB

[Edited on 3-10-2012 by new2chem]

plante1999 - 3-10-2012 at 13:51

You are doing electrolysis not hydrolysis. On my website I'm slowly building up a database about electrosynthesis. You are making Iron II hydroxide (dark green) which then oxidize because of dissolved oxygen into Iron III hydroxide (brown).

Reaction equations:

2Cl- - 2e- -) Cl2
2H2O + 2e- -) H2 + 2OH-
2Na+ + 2OH- -) 2NaOH
Cl2 + Fe -) FeCl2
FeCl2 + 2NaOH -) 2NaCl + Fe(OH)2

Overall:
Fe + 2e- + 2H2O -) H2 + Fe(OH)2

Oxygen oxydation:
4Fe(OH)2 + O2 + 2H2O -) 2Fe2(OH)6

If you have any other question you can ask me on the contact tab of my website or via U2U.

[Edited on 3-10-2012 by plante1999]

new2chem - 3-10-2012 at 14:32

Ok, thank you. I know more now than I did a couple of hours ago :D

Keep up with your electrosynthysis project, I am bookmarking your website.

CHRIS25 - 3-10-2012 at 23:52

Plante: My website (Sorry for adf.ly but I need way to get money for new chemistry equipment/reagent) :
http://adf.ly/9YqGI I can not make head or tail of this, I'm either waiting for the video to load (hours) Is this an advertising video? I can not see any links buttons pulls levers bobbles togs or anything to find your website?

I was simply interested in your project.

plante1999 - 4-10-2012 at 03:23

It should be easier now to access on my website, it was advertising and in the upper corner there was a skip this add button. Simply click on the link in my signature.