Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Lab frame/lattice

Hexavalent - 7-1-2013 at 08:53

I've made an attempt to build one myself, and I have seen people's work areas on this forum which are fitted with them.

Do you have them fitted, what are they constructed from, and what do you use as a base?

For those who aren't sure what I mean, here are some images from Google:

mr.crow - 7-1-2013 at 10:51

I built two regular stands out of wood and vertical steel rod, then attached a horizontal rod with two bosshead clamps. Easy!

It is very sturdy, plus an extra horizontal clamp for supporting condensers. Don't want any stress on the apparatus

smaerd - 7-1-2013 at 11:15

I made a simple ring stand using iron threaded rod which is very affordable at hardware stores and a threaded plate holding thing. This has come in handy dozens of times but the rod does rust even if I treat it with oil that's the nature of iron.

I imagine a lab lattice could be built doing something similar with maybe aluminum rod/tubing and PVC T and + shaped connecting pieces. Aluminum is great because it is light, cheap, strong, and easy to work with(hacksaw through it like butter). Having a couple lengths of aluminum tubing would make nice electrodes anyways, so left-overs aren't really waste. Ideally one would use real metal clamps and probably stainless steel?

I realize you aren't in the US but here's the material I am talking about :
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202183497/h_d...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202183519/h_d...

CaliusOptimus - 7-1-2013 at 18:41

I made one from 1/2" galvanized steel rod and plumbing parts. You won't find connectors for half-inch rod around town, but you will find copper sweat fittings. Galvanized steel can be soldered to copper using plumber's flux and solder. It's tougher to solder than copper, I recommend scrubbing on some 'tinning flux' with a wire toothbrush while hot.

Oscilllator - 7-1-2013 at 19:52

I use a chair. Not even joking. Its a solid wooden one, and whenever I want to put a clamp in, I just drill a hole. It has worked fine for everything so far, although it wont be able to do really complicated stuff. For that, I shall require 2 chairs

jamit - 7-1-2013 at 22:18

here's how i made my lab frame.

IMG_1820.jpg - 41kB

I'm not sure what the "screw" is called but it allows you to connect various 1/2" aluminum and steel rods.

IMG_1822.jpg - 64kB

bbartlog - 8-1-2013 at 14:23

I have a horizontal wooden bar about 80cm above the top of my lab table (runs from wall to cabinet), and two 1/2" steel pipes that run vertically, about 60cm apart, through holes in this bar and down into the top of the table. Not as extensive as a full-blown frame but so far it's done the job.