Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A synthesis video I made of mercury (II) thiocyanate

nb198 - 30-3-2014 at 07:00

I am trying to make a collection of chemistry videos. So far, this is my fourth installment.

Let me know what you think!

Video link

annaandherdad - 30-3-2014 at 11:27

Thanks, that was very interesting, and your video was well done! It's nice to have videos of some things that are too dangerous to do oneself. The chemistry is also fascinating---carbon nitride is a real surprise!

The book "Simple Chemical Experiments" by Morgan (in the forum library) has a preparation called "Serpent's Eggs", also described as "Pharoah's serpent", made from potassium nitrate, potassium dichromate, and sugar. Probably not as dramatic though.

Zephyr - 30-3-2014 at 14:28

Wow, nice video.
I wonder if one could extract any useful chemicals from those little "snake" fireworks that have the same foaming effect.
When I get my mercury in a few weeks I may try this synthesis...

Steam - 30-3-2014 at 16:31

Very professional, Loved it! Never knew of this reaction till I saw this video! Subscribed!

nb198 - 30-3-2014 at 19:40

Quote: Originally posted by annaandherdad  
Thanks, that was very interesting, and your video was well done! It's nice to have videos of some things that are too dangerous to do oneself. The chemistry is also fascinating---carbon nitride is a real surprise!

The book "Simple Chemical Experiments" by Morgan (in the forum library) has a preparation called "Serpent's Eggs", also described as "Pharoah's serpent", made from potassium nitrate, potassium dichromate, and sugar. Probably not as dramatic though.

I will definitely check that out! It says to use 'mucilage' to stick as a binder. What do you think would work as a substitute? I don't think I can get that very readily.

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by nb198]

Zyklon-A - 30-3-2014 at 21:44

Very nice video! [Liked]
I tried without the binder (I don't have it either), it did not work at all, it didn't even burn.:(

nb198 - 2-4-2014 at 04:54

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Very nice video! [Liked]
I tried without the binder (I don't have it either), it did not work at all, it didn't even burn.:(

Aw man! That is upsetting. I was hoping to try it out today. Thanks for saving me some time!

Zyklon-A - 2-4-2014 at 06:04

Too bad he measured in terms of teaspoons, instead of grams. So perhaps I got the perportions wrong. Does anyone know what the reaction is?

Fantasma4500 - 2-4-2014 at 11:06

agreed... great clean start

if you want to try something many will find interesting, you could try to take some OTC 'chemicals' and turn them into more useful things
such as steel into dichromates, or creating ferrates

mr.crow - 2-4-2014 at 19:58

Quote: Originally posted by nb198  
I am trying to make a collection of chemistry videos. So far, this is my fourth installment.

Let me know what you think!

Video link

Nice! Very well done. Canadian too!

Its good to see some more youtube chemistry videos. It seems to have died off after a brief 'fad'.

plante1999 - 2-4-2014 at 23:18

Yea, I had observed video about chemistry almost stopped existing for some reason but since I was more into books I did not care.

About the latest video:

You could try to use carbon disulphide xanthate next time? That could be an interesting experiment to compare results.

I also found it sad you did not dried the cellulose in your last video

How did you figured out he was Canadian? Even if I'm Canadian I can't recognize the accent yet...

mr.crow - 6-4-2014 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Yea, I had observed video about chemistry almost stopped existing for some reason but since I was more into books I did not care.

About the latest video:

You could try to use carbon disulphide xanthate next time? That could be an interesting experiment to compare results.

I also found it sad you did not dried the cellulose in your last video

How did you figured out he was Canadian? Even if I'm Canadian I can't recognize the accent yet...

There is a little Canadian flag next to his username on the video page hehe. Most English speaking Canadians that live in a big city have a neutral accent. We learn it from watching too many TV shows.

I like how the video mentions the difference between mercury(II) and mercury(I), a little detail I wouldn't have thought of.