Sciencemadness Discussion Board

collective thread for storing various energetic materials

Vikascoder - 31-3-2014 at 09:57

There is always a need for proper storing of energetic materials so I have started this the read where everyone may ask his doubts related for storing various energetic materials .

I have also some doubts which I would like to clarify .
1- how to store mercury fulminate and nitric acid 95%+ concentration .

Steam - 31-3-2014 at 10:34

In a dark climate controlled metal shed far away from your house!

Ral123 - 31-3-2014 at 10:45

At in the hot summer sun in dark containers sample of LA and sample of NC didn't show signs of decomposition. The NC is 2 years old now and still doesn't smell and is white. It's washed well only.
AP doesn't sublime much in subzero temperatures. HMTD sample was significantly weakened after 6 months.
I feel human incompetency is worst, store away from people. Stable secondaries give piece of mind.

Bert - 31-3-2014 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  

1- how to store mercury fulminate and nitric acid 95%+ concentration .

ALL explosives, most ESPECIALLY primary and other high explosives are stored under lock and key where the curious can't reach them and the worst case fire or explosion will not involve anyone but the person who chose to store things like that.

Go see the BATFE orange book for basics on that, look at the tables of distances vs net explosive quantity and type of material for a rough idea of just how far away from the public that storage should be.

Federal Explosives Law and Regulations

Quote:

Tenney Davis (Chemistry of Powder and Explosives, p.310)

Mercury fulminate is usually stored under water, or, where there is danger m freezing, under a mixture of water and alcohol. 'When wet it is not exploded by a spark or by ordinary shock, but care must be taken that no part of the individual sample is allowed to dry out, for wet fulminate is exploded by the explo- sion of dry fulminate. It is not appreciably affected by long storage, either wet or dry, at moderate temperatures. At the tem- perature of the tropics it slowly deteriorates and loses its ability to explode. At 35°C. (95°F.) it becomes completely inert after about 3 years, at 50°C. (122°F. ) after about 10 months.

Best practice would be to make anhydrous or near anhydrous nitric acid just prior to use and NOT store it. Nitric acid decomposes at room temperature, if you must store, do so in a tightly sealed Teflon coated (shatter proof) dark bottle in a freezer below Oo C.

roXefeller - 31-3-2014 at 15:29

10% water is suggested for picric acid, as well as avoidance of metals.

The_Davster - 31-3-2014 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
10% water is suggested for picric acid

Not actually necessary. See Rosco's posts in picric acid threads.

Screw cap containers are a no no for any sensitive HE or primary.

Of course everything depends on quantity. A few mgs of even the most sensitive primary could be stored wherever in an appropriate(read: non-shrapnel) container.

But mercury fulminate also has the toxicity issue, if it goes off you are dealing not only with the explosion, potential shrapnel, but also toxic fumes. So wherever it is should be very well ventilated, and certainly not in your house. Same for lead azide.

You should avoid storing primaries except for very short periods of time, and even so, kept wet is ideal.

100% nitric stores well in a fridge. Although freezer is better. If you buy the 100% from aldrich it comes slightly yellow, and even after 6 months is of comparable hue.

Steam - 1-4-2014 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
10% water is suggested for picric acid

Not actually necessary. See Rosco's posts in picric acid threads.

Screw cap containers are a no no for any sensitive HE or primary.

Of course everything depends on quantity. A few mgs of even the most sensitive primary could be stored wherever in an appropriate(read: non-shrapnel) container.

But mercury fulminate also has the toxicity issue, if it goes off you are dealing not only with the explosion, potential shrapnel, but also toxic fumes. So wherever it is should be very well ventilated, and certainly not in your house. Same for lead azide.

You should avoid storing primaries except for very short periods of time, and even so, kept wet is ideal.

100% nitric stores well in a fridge. Although freezer is better. If you buy the 100% from aldrich it comes slightly yellow, and even after 6 months is of comparable hue.

The NON-SHRAPNEL storage containers are key.
I like to store my energetics in two ziplock bags which are kept in a small locked shed 200 ish yards away from my house.