Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Highlighter Dyes (update)

Fidelmios - 30-6-2017 at 19:51

Hey all,

If a mod wants to merge the threads that would be fine, however I think the topic is askew to the first. I've been extracting the dyes out of highlighters for the last week or so, and I am currently trying to drive off the last bits of water from my compound. I have decided to try and use a desiccator like MgSO4 due to its availability. I think my setup will work, but I am unsure, I am simply placing my beaker full of my compound, in a tupperware container that is has dried MgSO4 covering the rest of the container. I am dubious that this will work with MgSO4, and want to know your opinions on this. If you think a better desiccant will work, I would love to know your ideas!

ninhydric1 - 30-6-2017 at 21:03

I prefer calcium chloride because it absorbs much more water than magnesium sulfate. I believe you can find calcium chloride in the local hardware store as "DampRid". Calcium chloride's ability to absorb water is used as a dehumidifier, which is why it is quite common.

If you want a more thorough desiccation, make a "desiccator bag", where the material you want to desiccate put into a container, placed in the bag, and a substantial amount of desiccant is also placed in the bag. Or you could purchase a commercially made glass desiccator.

Fidelmios - 30-6-2017 at 23:11

Aha! I do have a sample of calcium chloride after all. It looks like about 400g. I'll try to use it after the 2nd run with MgSO4. Any tips on redrying CaCl2?

ninhydric1 - 1-7-2017 at 10:05

Use an oven, and allow maximum surface area.