Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Highlighter Dyes (update)
Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 19:51
Highlighter Dyes (update)

Hey all,

If a mod wants to merge the threads that would be fine, however I think the topic is askew to the first. I've been extracting the dyes out of highlighters for the last week or so, and I am currently trying to drive off the last bits of water from my compound. I have decided to try and use a desiccator like MgSO4 due to its availability. I think my setup will work, but I am unsure, I am simply placing my beaker full of my compound, in a tupperware container that is has dried MgSO4 covering the rest of the container. I am dubious that this will work with MgSO4, and want to know your opinions on this. If you think a better desiccant will work, I would love to know your ideas!
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 21:03

I prefer calcium chloride because it absorbs much more water than magnesium sulfate. I believe you can find calcium chloride in the local hardware store as "DampRid". Calcium chloride's ability to absorb water is used as a dehumidifier, which is why it is quite common.

If you want a more thorough desiccation, make a "desiccator bag", where the material you want to desiccate put into a container, placed in the bag, and a substantial amount of desiccant is also placed in the bag. Or you could purchase a commercially made glass desiccator.
Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 23:11

Aha! I do have a sample of calcium chloride after all. It looks like about 400g. I'll try to use it after the 2nd run with MgSO4. Any tips on redrying CaCl2?
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 10:05

Use an oven, and allow maximum surface area.

Go To Top