Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I just took the plunge and incorporated...

evil_lurker - 12-7-2007 at 11:42

The articles of incorporation paperwork has been filed and I'm on my way to having my own company.

I got tired of not being able to aquire the chemicals needed for what I want to accomplish, the suspicion and associated risk when I was able to obtain them.

Alfa Aesar, Sigma Aldrich, Cole Palmer, Fisher Scientic, and all the others out there, here I come!

roamingnome - 12-7-2007 at 12:22

one small hurdle might be trade references, but at least the process is started! :D

franklyn - 12-7-2007 at 14:37

The historical prelude for this thread _
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6726

bio2 - 12-7-2007 at 19:14

.........."one small hurdle might be trade references, but at least the process is started! "............

A way to get these is to approach a small chemical company
and offer to pay all or a portion in advance and the balance on delivery. Then after 2 or 3 months they should give you a 30 day open account with a bank reference which is really nothing more than a verification of your company account.

Alfa seems more amenable to new customers than some others in my experience.

[Edited on by bio2]

evil_lurker - 12-7-2007 at 20:08

From my understanding, to have trade references you must have a DUNS number and Paydex score from Dun & Bradstreet, the business credit bureau.

For that you must have a listed 411 telephone number, and it helps tremendously if you buy their "Credit Builder" program which is like some $400 IIRC.

Then once you get he DUNS number, you can go apply for credit references and get easy freebie accounts that report like Office Depot, UPS, etc.

After 6 months you get your Paydex score and its all downhill from there.

chemkid - 13-7-2007 at 18:26

evil_lurker, get a website, sell small quanities of chemicals, sell advanced glassware, require little paperwork, sell to anyone regardless, have good pricing and I'll come!

Good luck, get a website (i suggest googlepages, works fine for me, not sure about comercial sites though):). Congratualtions!

Chemkid

Sauron - 14-7-2007 at 07:16

Congrats on incorporating. You won't regret it.

IMO don't worry about credit. That takes time and isn't really necessary. Once you have a federal tax number (employers ID number EIN) from IRS most suppliers will be happy to deal with you on a cash or COD basis.

A lot of startup companies go belly up in the first 1-2 years so for credit many will want to see some longevity first.