B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 19-4-2024 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by Etanol  
Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Quote: Originally posted by Etanol  

5,5' - azoterazolates - small explosive energy

What is this based on? I have not done much testing on anything other than azotetrazolates and what I have done has been limited, but it did not seem to be that azotetrazolates lacked explosive energy.

I was wrong. The calc explosive heat of copper azotetrazolate is sufficient. Due to the high enthalpy of formation.
I think Ni azotetrazolate is perpective if it does not form hydrates, because it should have similar power but less sensitivity. In addition, Ni does not oxidize in the air unlike Fe(2+)=>Fe(3+).

[Edited on 19-4-2024 by Etanol]

I have previously done some experimentation trying to form Ni azotetrazolate perchlorate, I am still in the process of trying to work out what the product was (eg which hydrate if any and is it a complex or double salt). It has some promising properties, but needs more work before I can report anything meaningful back.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2024 at 09:38

I have recently experimented with 4-amino-1,2,4-triazole as a ligand for nickel perchlorate. I think it probably forms with two 4-ATrz ligands based on yield. The product is not hygroscopic and very insensitive for this kind of compound. I was not able to get any reaction in the oblique impact test on sand paper (highest setting, 5.5 Joule impact), and I was also not able to set it off with hammer and anvil (though this test is not 100% reliable).
It Does DDT from fuse ignition at the 25 mg level, lightly confined. I haven't tested initiation ability yet. Based on flame tests of samples in Al-foil, it seems very thermally stable.
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 16:04

Quote: Originally posted by dettoo456  
If you are really concerned with yield, just dry out the solids from a 5-ATz synthesis and reflux in anhydrous EtOH for an hour or two to completely extract any available 5-ATz. In my experience though, the crystallization of 5-ATz is consistent enough to disregard a different extraction method.

Thanks. Acetone is better. Using the standard method, I got less than 50% 5-ATZ*H2O from aminoguanidine bicarbonate, H2SO4 and NaNO2. But by adding extraction I increased the yield to 83% of theory.

I compared Сu 5,5'-azotetrazolate and poorly crystallized AgNT compressed by hand with the same force in plastic tubes on metall plates.
Сu 5,5'-azotetrazolate 0.9g/cc was compacted with alcohol then dried within a day because dry subs is very dangerous.
AgNT 1.25g/cc
Сu 5,5'-azotetrazolate at this density is 2 times weaker than AgNT and much weaker than NAP or PVA-Lead Azide compressed with the same force.

Does anyone know the max density and enthalpy of formation of copper 5,5'-azotetrazolate or some other 5,5'-azotetrazolate to evaluate detonation parameters?

I prepare Ni and Co(II) 5,5'-azotetrazolates from raw Na 5,5'-azotetrazolate. Being placed in a flame or on hot foil, they only crack. That is, microdetonation occurs instead of complete detonation. It looks like these are hydrates.
Both substances are poorly soluble in water, but are very difficult to filter. These are rather colloids than crystals.

Is Ag nitroaminotetrazolate sensitivity acceptable for practical use?

[Edited on 23-4-2024 by Etanol]
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2024 at 16:26

More questions about making BNCP

Quote: Originally posted by snooby  

1. Preparation of [Co(NH3)4CO3]2SO4*3H2O complex. 47g CoSO4*7H2O is dissolved it 125 ml of water and is added to solution of 100g (NH4)2CO3 in 500 ml H2O + 250 ml 25% ammonia solution. Resulted dark violet solution is oxidised by addition of 14 ml of 30% hydrogen peroxide. Solution is allowed to sit for 30 minutes, after that period it is placed on boiling water bath and is evaporated to 300 ml volume. During course of the concentration process, solid ammonium carbonate (25 g) was added in installments. Solution is filtered from unsignificant ammount of precipitated black cobalt oxide and is further concentrated to 200 ml volume. Solution is slowly cooled to room temperature, product precipitates as small deep-red prisms. They are filtered out from the solution and allowed to dry at room temperature. Yield is 16 g of pure product, mother liquer can be further concentated with addition of ammonium carbonate to get more 16 g of complex, but it is less pure.

2. Preparation of [Co(NH3)4CO3](ClO4) complex. 16g of complexed synthesised on first stege is dissolved in 320 ml of water. Solution is filtered and 16g of sodium perchlorate in 40 ml of water is added with stirring. Mixture is cooled on ice (or in freezer) for 3-4 hours. Product precipitates as small, lustrous, sharp violet prisms. Crystalls are filtered off, washed with small ammount of ice cold water and dried at room temperature. Yield is about 14 gramms.

3. Preparation of BNCP. 14g [Co(NH3)4CO3](ClO4) is dissolved in 140 ml 10% perchloric acid, and solution of 26.5g of sodium 5-nitrotetrazolate dihydrate in 450 ml of water is added with stirring. Solution is placed on boiling water bath, and allowed to sit there for 4 hours. Solution is slowly cooled to room temperature and then cooled in freezer to 10°С, precipitated crystalls of BNCP are filtered of, washed with cold water, and recrystallised from 1% perchloric acid. Yield is 12.9g.

How can I check that I have prepared a cobalt-3 compound and not a cobalt-2 or a mixture of both? They are the same color.

How can I be sure that I am getting a [Co(NH3)4CO3](ClO4) precipitate and not a mixture of [Co(NH3)4CO3](ClO4) and [Co(NH3)4CO3]2SO4?

I have CoCO3 for ceramics. Can I use it and NH4ClO4, to immediately prepare [Co(NH3)4CO3](ClO4) without SO4 or NO3 anions ?
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24

Go To Top