Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where are the chemical trading threads?
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 21-3-2008 at 22:37
Where are the chemical trading threads?

Why are there no threads where people are asking to trade chemicals? There are only a very few threads where people are selling chemicals also. Are people afraid of having the mail opened? Hazmat fees? Liability? Hoarding chemicals?

All of my stuff is OTC stuff, but some cheap OTC stuff I cannot find, (like urea) and I would think that other people might not be able to either.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 21-3-2008 at 23:29

that has come up before and the consensus is that a thread devoted to chem trading wouldn 't serve the interests of the forum. with all the controls and hype about chemistry in the US it might bring unwanted attention. occaisionally someone offers to unload some excess of one or two reagents that are completely innocuous and free of concerns from the legal wonders. there are many benefits to this forum but that isn't one of them. you joined over a year ago and you haven't figured this out?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 06:07

Being an intermediate in the trade of chemicals opens up a really nasty can of worms. You have to assure that no laws are violated, people are at different countries and there is the nasty thing of import/export regulations. Trading chemicals hardly can be done in a practical means. Sometimes people have direct contact through U2U and exchange some chemicals, but that is to the discretion of those persons and then they can assess the risk of doing so. The forum then is not involved.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 09:01

Actually, I have no objections to people trading/selling chemicals here unless they're immediate drug precursors or very hazardous. To give you an idea, I don't mind trading of iodine or sodium azide, but pseudoephedrine and BCl3 are out. The moderators can't perform any sort of services to enable trades. We're not going to investigate complaints about missing packages, verify personal information, handle money, or do any of the other stuff that people usually want from an auction or trading site.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
CyrusGrey
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oooh! Shiny!

[*] posted on 22-3-2008 at 09:26

Thanks, Polverone. The other two comments have made me nervious about attracting attention to the forum though. I am very politically naive, so I don't think that I am a very good judge of these things.

Also, while I did register over a year ago, I have only been active rescently. This is because I had both school and work at the same time. Now that I am unemployed, I have plenty of time to work on what is important!

Go To Top