Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using Gaussview for Gaussian
dan_teod
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 24-3-2008 at 13:40
Using Gaussview for Gaussian

I'm using gaussview for gaussian. My problem is that I want as final result to simulte IR and VCD spectra. The first problem that I have encountred is when I want to simulate a potential energy surface for diedral angle in 1-phenyl ethanol I can't do that because I don't understant how to imput data with gaussview for this kind of job. I choosed the article attached as "exercise job". I anyone can help me with this and with other problems in the future I'll be gratefull.

Attachment: 04 jp068448v.pdf (249kB)
This file has been downloaded 1229 times

daws
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2009 at 19:07

In the supplementary information file for that article, they give Cartesian co-ordinates for the 4 dimers described.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/jp068448v/suppl_file/j...
A lot of comp. chem. articles will have an example z-matrix or cart. co-ords in their supplementary files.

If you're familiar with running Gaussian files, you can take these co-ordinates, and make an input file out of them.
The Gaussian webpage is a wealth of knowlegde for the specifics of making this kind of file.
http://www.gaussian.com/g_ur/m_input.htm

I personally use z-matrices because they're so much easier to do things like scans.
eg
D30 0. S 11 30.
would perform an optimization at 30 degree intervals 12 times (so thats 360 degrees) on labelled dihedral D30, starting @ 0 degrees.

You can convert Cartesian co-ords into a z-matrix in Gaussview I think. Just open up the editor once you've opened the Cartesian co-ord input file, and it'll label things a, b, c, etc. Then just change the input format to z-matrix, save it, and that should do it... something like that.

Performing the scans will give you the energies in hartrees, so that will be the Z-axis on the plot.
IR and VCD spectra come from frequency calculations. There should be a setting to change the job type in Gaussview.

Go To Top