Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitroglycerin without nitric acid
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 21-10-2003 at 16:45
nitroglycerin without nitric acid

Today I dreamt about trying to make NG with the following precedure: mix 30g AN with 60g sulfuric acid and cool down to 8 degrees c.
Then drip 9g of glycerin in over a period of 15 min.
stir for 5 min and remove from ice bath.
let sit for 15 min.
Now heres the problem, I couldnt extract the NG from the water/acid/AN solution because the NG layer isnt visable. Its just a clear, kinda oily solution with no layers.
Anyone have a similar problem or advice on what went wrong? I used black/brown drain cleaner acid but when the AN was added it turned clear...is this normal? apon first adding the glycerin it settles on top, but as soon as its stired its gone never to be seen again. Please help.
This post has to do with chemistry and trouble shooting a tricky synthesis, not explosives.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 21-10-2003 at 17:40

Did you add extra water to stop the nitration? If not, you should probably do that. You may want to try salting the solution after adding the water. Then use a seperatory funnel to separate the layers. If that doesn't form any layers, try neutralising and letting sit over night. If that still doesn't work, get rid of it and attempt again.

I have a similar acid, and yes it does clear up once a nitrate is added. Usually KNO<sub>3</sub> in my case. Mine usually stays a little redish or yellowish. Mines more of a brown, with a tint of red.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 21-10-2003 at 18:36

Yes, after the 15 min of it nitrating, I added it to a beaker of 400ml of water. Still, there was no layers.
I waited about an hour cheacking it periodicaly, nothing. Before I stir it theres a layer on top that I could easily extract however i doubt its been properly nitrated because it hasnt been thoroughly mixed with the acid/AN solution.

Never mind, about 5 min ago I dreamt about trying a thrid time to make it. It worked I got about 1g from 17g of glycerin so something still went wrong, but hey, it worked. I cant say what was different, I kept the temps alittle lower and stired more after the nitration was complete, other than that...I did it the same.
I clearly dont understand this highly sensitive explosive enough to make it in large enough quantity to make any dynamite or anything but will continue to make a few grams now and then for testing.
If anyone would like to discuss the synthesis and what happens to teh glycerin (like adding NO2 and subtracting an H) I would love to. I dont understand much about chemistry and Im eager to learn anything I can.
Oh BTW it is 10:28PM here right now so Im pretty sure my neighbors didnt like the NG test a few min. ago. :D My ears still ring.

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Iv4
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2003 at 23:00

Your NG went clear instantly?Thats od(in a good way though :) ).Usually the ammonium nitrate is added later and the whole mix acid N all is dumped into a salt/water bath.

This makes it go cloudy though(needs like a week to setle down)but te yields tend to be somewhat higher.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2003 at 08:18

This post has to do with chemistry and trouble shooting a tricky synthesis, not explosives.

This is just another "I can't make NG thread". Don't make it look more fancy than it is.

There are plenty of threads about NG, on this site as well as others and neither is the method without HNO3 new or exotic.

So closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top