Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cleaning a absolute vacuum gauge type CR2
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 20:28
Cleaning a absolute vacuum gauge type CR2

I have a 100mm vacuum gauge that has become slightly fould over the years. The capsule won't rotate freely any more.

A person who works with different types of gauges like the bourden, has suggested using WD40. I have searched the net but can't find any info on cleaning this type of gauge.

I would go ahead and do it, but I'm reluctant because I'm not familiar with the workings of the capsule, and I don't want to unscrew anything because I won't be able to calibrate it.

Does anybody know the CR2?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 20:37

I certainly would not suggest WD40. If any lubrication at all is what is needed, and that is doubtful, then something utterly nonvolatile like a PTFE or molybdenum disulfide solid lube would be preferable, and sparingly applied at that.

It should more like a corrosion problem. If you feel up to diassembly and reassembly, clean the thing and see if the problem goes away. Only then consider lube.

My guess is that inadequate trapping was done so you might look into better performance on that front.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 20:49

Lube? But all the mechanical parts are exposed to the vacuum. Won't that become a problem?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 21:29

Not with a Dri-slide type solid film lubricant. It most certainly would be a problem with a WD40 type.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top