Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sand particles
encipher
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2008 at 16:09
Sand particles

Hi,

I'm faced with a situation where I have very fine sand dispersed in a solution. Now a decent filter with an low micron rating would probably do the job, except some particulates are very very small. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good flocculant that works well with sand particles?

sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 29-4-2008 at 16:36

Alum?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2008 at 16:50

Depending on the solution and the solubility of the substrate in that solution sand itself as a molecular sieve works very good.

azo.
encipher
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-4-2008 at 16:54

Quote:
Originally posted by azo
Depending on the solution and the solubility of the substrate in that solution sand itself as a molecular sieve works very good.

azo.

Umm... How so ?

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2008 at 19:32

You didn't state anything about the solution, so I don't know if californium tetracyanide can be used, or if you just can add HF and HNO3 to dissolve the 'sand', or what.

For potable water treatment iron or aluminium salts are commonly used, with the pH adjusted so as to have the hydroxide form; generally a little above 7, Ca(OH)2 solution can be used.

You should be able to just filter the stuff, though. Sand is big, large than 75 microns, even silt is is larger than several microns. I'd try a coarser filter followed by a medium or fine (fritted glass specs). Or if the volume isn't too large, just centrifuge the puppy.

Particle sizes and fritted filter codes:

sandsilt.png - 93kB
encipher
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 11:14

not_important, I tried 5 micron filter felt, that was about an 1/8 of an inch thick, and folded it four times, and the fine particles still goes through. The solution will be purified so the end result has to be 'clean' water.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 12:20

Does it settle when you leave it alone for a week?

Oftentimes that's what I do.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
encipher
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 13:46

12AX7,

Yeah it sure does settle, but I don't have that much time =) I'm positive a coagulant would work, but I am unsure as to what would be the best to use that would not be toxic or hazardous.

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 00:07

Quote:
Originally posted by encipher
Yeah it sure does settle, but I don't have that much time =) I'm positive a coagulant would work, but I am unsure as to what would be the best to use that would not be toxic or hazardous.

Can you get use of a centrifuge then?

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 06:33

If it gets through a 5 micron filter, and assuming the filter was correctly set up, then you're not dealing with sand or even silt, but rather clay or rock flour like you find in glacier runoff.

However the use of 'folding' makes me wonder about the edge seal in your filtration attempt, with finer filters the resistance becomes high enough that you need a setup that avoids leakage around the filter; usually along with applied pressure or vacuum. Household water filter cartridges typically are rated in the 1 to 10 micron range, and have a noticeable back pressure.

As you've still not indicated anything like volume that needs treating, we're still shotgunning:

Use fine filters, or deep sand filters. Best if all you are treating is a few liters.

Centrifuge, batch or continuous.

Flocculates such as iron or aluminium salts, or prganic polymers, followed by filtration. See here for examples targeted at pools, when properly used safe enough although maybe not satisfactory for drinking or cooking http://www.aquaclear.co.nz/swimmingpoolproducts.php?category...
These generally take a bit of time to work, the floc needs to form up before you can filter it, so expect minutes to hours.

As such your best bet is to look at systems for treating swimming pools, or household sized drinking water treatment as used in rural areas. For batch mode you might look at something such as http://www.csrwire.com/News/11792.html while for larger amounts these might be better

http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-QC10-SED1-Three-Eighths-fi...

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ww-fi-ceramic-water-filters...

that last is rated at 0,2 microns, down into the bacterial range, and might need a coarse prefilter to remove actual sand. Note that its initial pressure drop is about one atmosphere, and will increase with use.

Go To Top