Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wohl-Aue-Reaction
ChemoMax1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 07:12
Wohl-Aue-Reaction

Hello everyone!

Is anyone of you aware of a general instruction for carrying out a Wohl-Aue-Reaction?
If searched for this for quite a long time, but I haven't found one yet.
Thank you in advance.

Greetings, ChemoMax1
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 07:25

........information of the afore asked reaction, also a study using the reaction......solo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wohl-Aue_reaction

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt
.....Until recently, in addition to the direct oxidation of phenazines, the Wohl--Aue con- densation of nitrobenzenes and anilines in the presence of bases was practically the only method for the synthesis of phenazine N-oxides. Recently developed preparative methods have facilitated the approach to known compounds and have made it possible to synthesize new com- pounds. The original method of Haddadin and co-workers 135] is based on a completely new : principle for the construction of thephenazine ring. The authors have observed that benzo- furoxan (III) reacts with l-morpholinocyclohexene to give 1,2,3,4-tetrahydrophenazine N,N'- dioxides.

.........as read here,

Recent advances in the chemistry of phenazine oxides (review)
S. Pietra1, G. F. Bettinetti1, A. Albini1 and G. Minoli1
Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds Volume 13, Number 12 / Pages 1263-1274, December, 1977

Abstract
Data on the electronic structures and spectral characteristics of phenazine 5-oxides and 5, 10-dioxides are correlated. Methods for the synthesis of N-oxides of the phenazine series and their reactions (reduction, electrophilic and nucleophilic substitution, and photochemical transformations) are examined. Data on the natural compounds of this series are presented.

[Edited on 15-6-2008 by solo]

Attachment: Recent advances in the chemistry of phenazine oxides (review).pdf (946kB)
This file has been downloaded 917 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
ChemoMax1
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 09:39

Thank you for this, but it isn't exactly what I've been looking for.
This study shows methods to avoid the Wohl-Aue-Reaction, but the latter seems to me to be the only suitable way to sythesize Phenazine, considering my equipment.

Greetings, ChemoMax1
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 14:44

The Wohl-Aue Reaction. I. Structure of Benzo [a] phenazine Oxides and Syntheses of 1,6-Dimethoxyphenazine and 1,6-Dichlorophenazine
Irwin J. Pachter, Milton C. Kloetzel
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1951; 73(10); 4958-4961

Abstract
The Wohl-Aue reaction between nitrobenzene and 2-naphthylamine in the presence of alkali yielded benzo [alphenazine-
Of The This novel 1,6-Dimethoxy- and 1,6-dichlorophenazine were prepared by the Wohl-Aue method in attempts to establish the struc-
12-oxide which was not identical with benzo[a]phenazine-7-oxide derived from the oxidation of benzo [alphenazine.
the two rnonooxides, only the Wohl-Aue compound readily yielded benzo[a]phenazine-7,12-dioxide on oxidation.
dioxide was reduced to the 7-oxide on treatment with a warm solution of hydrogen peroxide in acetic acid.
reduction was not effected by hot acetic acid in the absence of peroxide. ture of, and to conveniently synthesize, the antibiotic pigment iodinin.

Attachment: The Wohl-Aue Reaction. I. Structure of Benzo [a] phenazine Oxides and Syntheses of 1,6-Dimethoxyphenazine and 1,6-Dichlo (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 1288 times

solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 18:11

Ueber die Einwirkung von Nitrobenzol auf Anilin bei Gegenwart von Alkali
A. Wohl, W. Aue
Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft Volume 34, Issue 2 , Pages 2442 - 2450, 1901

[Edited on 15-6-2008 by solo]

Attachment: Ueber die Einwirkung von Nitrobenzol auf Anilin bei Gegenwart von Alkali.pdf (916kB)
This file has been downloaded 806 times

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-6-2008 at 01:04

Quote:
Originally posted by ChemoMax1
Hello everyone!

Is anyone of you aware of a general instruction for carrying out a Wohl-Aue-Reaction?
If searched for this for quite a long time, but I haven't found one yet.
Thank you in advance.

I have stated a number of times that starting a thread in the Organic chemistry section requires expresing the question clearly and with references so that it actually becomes answerable (also for not causing overaltruistic members losing time searching for basic information). Since you did not bother to provide the minimum background information needed, I'm moving this thread to Beginnings where this type of questions are welcome and acceptable.
ChemoMax1
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-6-2008 at 01:57

Thank you very much, solo.
This is exactly what I've searched.

Greetings, ChemoMax1

Go To Top