Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water soluble acetal or ketal
polychemist
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-7-2008 at 06:41
Water soluble acetal or ketal

I want to make an acetal or ketal with 3-chloropropanol which should be water soluble. Who can suggest what kind of aldehyde or ketone should I start with?
Thanks a lot!

Water solubility?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-7-2008 at 07:19

Don't you think your question is too vague? You set no limitations and didn't describe the conditions it will have to withstand or the application it will have. Without these information it is not possible to answer. There are a number of hydrophilic and ionic groups that can make a compound water soluble, some are and some are not compatible with acetal groups or the synthetic conditions for preparing these, but without knowing the limitations it is pretty much guessing.

PS: Please post one-line questions in the Beginnings section so that I don't have to move threads.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top