Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Thunder in a test tube
merlic79
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2008 at 19:10

I've seen that Rxn on youtube, and it was amazing.
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-8-2008 at 20:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Picric-A
ok i did the experiment where i bubbled dil. ClO2 thorugh methylated spirit and i didnt get the same flashes as when i bubbled 'chlorine' through acidified methylated spirit.... im very confused now...

If no reaction occurred, other compounds might have formed. I don't know how ClO2 reacts with alcohols, usually it explodes with organics. But the anhydride of hypochlorous acid, Cl2O is known to react with ethanol to form the hypochlorite. ClO2 is anhydride of chlorous and chloric acid, when diluted, it could maybe yield an alkyl chlorite ester, and a chlorate but I've never heard anything of alkyl chlorates. There's not much information on these either, and they are likley not very stable. Note that Cl2 and ClO2 will react with each other at RT in the presence of water (and in the dark) to get HClO3 and HCl if the mole ratio is between 1:3 and 3:1 of ClO2:Cl2, this might have prevented an organic hypochlorite formation from Cl2 this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by merlic79
I've seen that Rxn on youtube, and it was amazing.

That's with permanganate.

[Edited on 29-8-2008 by Schockwave]
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 02:25

I didnt think the ethanol hypochlorite would form in acidic conditions....
Could it be HCl reacting with the ClO2 to produce something like chlorous acid
HCl + H2O+ClO2 --> HClO3 + H2
hmmmm...
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 03:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Picric-A
I didnt think the ethanol hypochlorite would form in acidic conditions....

It will, the purpose of using a base mentioned in the organic hypochlorites thread is to neutralize acid is so that they don't explode in the preparation. As noted on the last page in that thread acidity can bring them to explosion. One or more of these three factors possibly in combination could have produced your initial results, initiation by: acidity (dilute HCl), chlorine (which generates acid in solution), or sunlight (you also mentioned sun was hitting the test tube). I'm thinking the sunlight was the key. Doing the reaction in the dark might generate a significant amount of hypochlorite which could be enough to blow up the test tube.

Quote:
Could it be HCl reacting with the ClO2 to produce something like chlorous acid
HCl + H2O+ClO2 --> HClO3 + H2
hmmmm...

That equation isn't right. HCl doesn't react with H2O beyond dissociating into ions H+ and Cl-. And ClO2 and HCl do not react. But ClO2 can react with H2O. The reaction of ClO2 with water is not immediate it can be partially solubilized in water and even removed out of solution by heating. In the dark traces of its aqueous solution forms HClO3 and HClO2. The reaction: 2 ClO2 + H2O = HClO2 + HClO3 is thought to occur very slowly.

[Edited on 30-8-2008 by Schockwave]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top