Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kno3 purification
PyroRA
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 13:17
Kno3 purification

Would I be better off just buying it online or getting fertilizer and purifying it? Also could someone provide an in-depth guide for me to purify it? Thanks guys.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 13:31

Sorry no in depth guide from me but your question really depends on many many things
How pure is the fertilizer?
How pure do you need it?
How are your chemistry skills?
How much is your time worth to you? that is, would you rather work more and spend your earned money on just buying it, or would you rather purify it?

Potassium Nitrate has high solubility when the water is very hot, and it has fairly low solubility when the solution is cold. Depending on what your impurities are from the fertilizer you could likely dissolve it all in hot water, filter it for any insoluble matter, then crystallize the potassium nitrate from the hot solution by SLOWLY cooling it off. The slower you cool it the larger the crystals will be, which will make it easier to filter, and dry.

There really is a lot of information about it online, please search about it. There are many in-depth guides to it.

Edit: Simple questions like this probably belong more so in the beginnings section of this forum, since there is so much information online about it. The forum members normally are very scornful if you do not search, and simply ask to be spoon fed. You could have at least attempted to answer your own question. It takes a while to really know the rules to forums, how people act, and all that jazz, but just keep that stuff in mind :D

Here is a great site for what it seems you are interested in http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/indexEN.html
http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/EN/cheminfo_EN.html#potassiumnitr...

When frogfot's amazing site was up, I believe he had a great way to make Potassium nitrate from Potassium Chloride (water softener) and Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer)

[Edited on 2-8-2008 by kclo4]

[Edited on 2-8-2008 by kclo4]
PyroRA
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 20:10
thanks

Yeah I know its a kewl question, and I know I can find something on the internet telling me how to do this. But theres a million different ways, and a lot of them say you should freeze it ASAP, and get it cold really fast

as for your questions
1 I haven't bought any yet so I can get the best available
2 I honestly can't say because what I have been using is from an occult shop and I am almost certain it is heavily impure, and it has not performed well. I would like the best I can get. I have no perception of how pure is good enough for my applications. I would like to be able to use it for pyrotechnics and for nitrations.
3 OK I am not exactly heavily experienced but if I go by the book on this it shouldn't be too hard right? I have about a half year of experience experimenting with actual resources to do so, but about 3 years of studying and experimenting with what I could obtain fairly easily.
4 I have got time until the 20th of august, then I have highly variable time. I think this would be a fun and interesting experience though.

Also what exactly purifies so much? I am sure plenty of the impurities are soluble in hot water.

Go To Top