Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvent-free organic synthesis with microwaves
Ritter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 13-8-2008 at 17:18
Solvent-free organic synthesis with microwaves

I haven't read the full article nor could I open the 2K graphics attachment in the abstract (it was blank), but microwave chemistry under solvent-free conditions appears to offer some significant advantages to the amateur chemist given the ready availability of used & portable microwave ovens.

Quote:
Tetrahedron
Volume 58, Issue 11, 11 March 2002, Pages 2155-2162

Abstract
doi:10.1016/S0040-4020(02)00085-6
Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation

Laurence Perreuxa, André Loupy, and François Volatronb

a Laboratoire des Réactions Sélectives sur Supports, Université Paris-Sud, CNRS, ICMO, UMR 8615, Bâtiment 410, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France b Laboratoire de Chimie Physique, Université Paris-Sud, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France

Received 26 July 2001; revised 19 October 2001; accepted 27 December 2001. ; Available online 1 February 2002.

Abstract
Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of the salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. The evident specific non-thermal microwave effects are attributed to polarity increase during the course of the reaction, due to development of a dipole in the transition state.

Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of corresponding salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. Specific non-thermal microwave effects are evidenced and attributed to enhancements in microwave–materials interaction due to polarity increase (formation of a polar transition state) during the course of the reaction.

I'm curious about the reaction mechanism involved as they appear to claim that only primary amines undergo this reaction. Alkyl, aryl & alkyl primary amines undergo this reaction.

This appears to be related to the Nylon-6,6 industrial synthesis that pyrolyzes the adipic acid salt of 1,6-heamethylenediamine.

Since this reaction only eliminates a molecule of water, I'm curious about whether salts of secondary amines could be made to work.

[Edited on 13-8-2008 by Ritter]

[Edited on 14-8-2008 by Ritter]

Ritter
=============================
\"The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.\"

Karl Marx
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 17-8-2008 at 08:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Ritter
I haven't read the full article nor could I open the 2K graphics attachment in the abstract (it was blank), but microwave chemistry under solvent-free conditions appears to offer some significant advantages to the amateur chemist given the ready availability of used & portable microwave ovens.

Quote:
Tetrahedron
Volume 58, Issue 11, 11 March 2002, Pages 2155-2162

Abstract
doi:10.1016/S0040-4020(02)00085-6
Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation

Laurence Perreuxa, André Loupy, and François Volatronb

a Laboratoire des Réactions Sélectives sur Supports, Université Paris-Sud, CNRS, ICMO, UMR 8615, Bâtiment 410, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France b Laboratoire de Chimie Physique, Université Paris-Sud, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France

Received 26 July 2001; revised 19 October 2001; accepted 27 December 2001. ; Available online 1 February 2002.

Abstract
Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of the salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. The evident specific non-thermal microwave effects are attributed to polarity increase during the course of the reaction, due to development of a dipole in the transition state.

Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of corresponding salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. Specific non-thermal microwave effects are evidenced and attributed to enhancements in microwave–materials interaction due to polarity increase (formation of a polar transition state) during the course of the reaction.

I'm curious about the reaction mechanism involved as they appear to claim that only primary amines undergo this reaction. Alkyl, aryl & alkyl primary amines undergo this reaction.

This appears to be related to the Nylon-6,6 industrial synthesis that pyrolyzes the adipic acid salt of 1,6-heamethylenediamine.

Since this reaction only eliminates a molecule of water, I'm curious about whether salts of secondary amines could be made to work.

[Edited on 13-8-2008 by Ritter]

[Edited on 14-8-2008 by Ritter]

..........read and see the whole thing ....Loupy also has a book all dealing with microwave chemistry...I have it if you want it just say so......solo

Attachment: Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation .pdf (144kB)
This file has been downloaded 2308 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.

Go To Top