Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Caution: Wear proper T-shirt
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 13:52
Caution: Wear proper T-shirt

This is just a cautionary note advising you to be sure and wear an appropriate T-shirt when shopping for OTC chemicals. This could happen to you:

My wife, in her beneficence, bought me a T-shirt for my birthday with this inscription: "If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the precipitate." A flask and beaker with requisite colored liquids are next to this inscription.

Without thinking I went to the local pharmacy in this T-shirt to pickup some Mucinex-D for my wife's earache. The next thing I know the tech is telling me I have to sign a DEA log and show my driver's license (Mucinex-D contains pseudoephedrine). Since this pissed me off I began giving the tech a mild bad time. However, the pharmacist, coming to his rescue, asked what did I expect wearing a T-shirt showing chemical glassware.

So, the message is: when out to buy your OTC chemicals, the following steps are advised:

1. Be a good looking fellow
2. Know the answer to "What are you trying to do?"
3. Have on the proper T-shirt as clerks are intensely interested in these and take them seriously. It's not just a clean shirt to them. Suggested shirt themes are golf or fishing.

[Edited on 16-9-2008 by Magpie]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 13:56

Next time, bring the wife to infect the obnoxious bastard if he really wants proof.

Quote:

2. Know the answer to "What are you trying to do?"

Trying to help the wife? Which is none of his fucking business anyway. God this pisses me off.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 14:05

I have a selection of Weird Fish T-shirts

http://www.weirdfish.co.uk/shop.php?category_id=203

I wear them while fishing, boating etc.

I do not try and buy anything much while wearing 'Reservoir Cod' :D
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 14:12

Nice one! I try to look respectful, responsible, and mature! No hoodies and clean shaven is good too (though when I do shave I look years younger and get the eyebrow!) What is the world coming to? I always wanted one of those chemistry orientated T-shirts... best I got was a Hep C Giant Microbe for Christmas, can't wait til I find out what I'm getting this year in the way of infectious diseases! ;)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
HydroCarbon
Hazard to Self

biggrin.gif posted on 16-9-2008 at 14:25

haha, I totally want that shirt.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 15:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Without thinking I went to the local pharmacy in this T-shirt to pickup some Mucinex-D for my wife's earache. The next thing I know the tech is telling me I have to sign a DEA log and show my driver's license (Mucinex-D contains pseudoephedrine). Since this pissed me off I began giving the tech a mild bad time.

Not that I want to defend this treatment, but I believe it's federal law since 2006 to require ID and signature on purchases of pseudoephedrine-containing products. Several states had similar laws even before the federal push. I don't think you would have been spared the demand for ID even in your folksiest fishing-themed shirt.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 16:47

You are absolutely correct Polverone.

The statement, "what did you expect while wearing a shirt with chemical glassware" (or something like that) really pissed me off. Ridiculous.

Also, check out the police report in "legal issues" to see some more stereotypical assumptions.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 16:59

Could have been worse though...you could have walked up with a t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it. :o:o

Fellow molecular manipulator
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 17:41

I had to purchase a

'JESUS LOVES DICK'

t-shirt, completely with a life-sized haloed caricature of dick cheney's head when i saw it online, however as australian's are completely unaware of their own politicians let alone american ones i had to stop wearing it because of the outright hostility i became subjected to, people thought i was a gay anti-christian homophobe, lol.
However i have started wearing it of late becaue after 4/11 my window will be closed completely.

Nothing to do with the original post i just love the t-shirt so much i'll talk about it without real casue.

stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 19:53

That is fucking bullshit! What is the world coming too!?
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 18:52

Quote:
Could have been worse though...you could have walked up with a t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it.

Or how about an "I make drugs" t-shirt :D

\"Who ARE you? You\'re like the drummer from REO Speedwagon - nobody knows who you are\" from \'Employee of the Month\'
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 25-9-2008 at 16:51
T-Shirt

That is the requirement so the DEA can put you on their suspected meth-maker list. At the local
Dollar General I saw a woman, who appeared to be in her 70s, get highly pissed off when told she
had to show ID for Sudafed.

The T-shirt thing is totally ridiculous. I have an old t-shirt around here somewhere that
depicts a biker on his hog. Above the picture:

"Gas, grass, or ass - No Free Riders !". I wonder how that pharacist would react to that
while purchasing Sudafed ? :D

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-9-2008 at 18:15

Based on today's experience I am going to have to modify my advice for shopping for OTC lab supplies. Instead of "Be a good looking fellow," I must now recommend: "Be an appropriate looking fellow."

I was dressed fairly well this morning for some other business when I stopped by Goodwill to buy a used porcelain plate. The clerk and another customer seemed to know that I wasn't going to be eating off of it. Next time I'll omit the deodorant and wear a WD-40 spotted undershirt. :D

Go To Top