Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical company
Suspiria
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 17:17
Chemical company

Due to my frustration trying to purchase even the most basic chemicals in the UK as a private individual, I'm considering starting my own small chemical business. Something a bit similar to www.inoxia.co.uk which caters to the hobby chemist, but with a wider range of products. I have a company name already and I've spotted a good premises for it. I could have it ready and move in by next week if I really wanted to.

What I'm still wondering though, is would you need some special kind of license to buy and sell chemicals? Exactly which chemicals can be sold to individuals and so on? Do you need a formal background or experience in the chemical industry, or is anyone allowed to create a small chemical supply company? I know that you have to register with the local council if you have hazardous material on your premises, but don't know much about what's required beyond that.

I presume there'd be some kind of inspection of the premises by the fire/insurance/health and safety officials, or whoever, before you're allowed to trade. What exactly would I need to do to demonstrate to them that my business is run safely and responsibly? What other regulations and red tape and so on should I be aware of?

If anyone has any experience running a chemical business I'd appreciate their advice, or if anyone has any good web links on the subject that'd be great. Or if I'm being unrealistic and wasting my time, I'd like to know that too before I go any further with this.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 17:34

Could you possibly contact people who have a small chemical business? I'm sure online companies can be contacted.
Think they could help you out as well?
Suspiria
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 18:09

Quote:
Originally posted by kclo4
Could you possibly contact people who have a small chemical business? I'm sure online companies can be contacted.

I thought about it but I'm not sure how willing they'd be to help someone who they might see as potentially cutting in on their business.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 21:14

I have run accross many small companies willing to sell simple compounds to individuals. Look a little more deeply. Also try searching ebay..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 21:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspiria
Quote:
Originally posted by kclo4

I thought about it but I'm not sure how willing they'd be to help someone who they might see as potentially cutting in on their business.

Still it is worth a try.
Also, although we are in different countries, I haven't had any problems acquiring Chemicals so perhaps looking a bit harder might be good.

However, I am interested in the possible profits, think it is very good?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 23:43

I know of a small company in the Netherlands, which sells many different chemicals to individuals, including rare ones and all kinds of organics. He does not sell common oxidizers like KNO3 and KClO3, because of possible abuse by kewls, and he does not ship strong acids by post.

His trick is to have no chemicals in stock, so he does not have to deal with zoning rules. When a customers orders from his website, then he orders at one of the bigger companies (they do sell to him) and when the chemicals arrive, he packages them and sends them to the customer. So, the only chemicals he has in his house are the ones he receives and which have to be sent to the customers. These chemicals usually are not there for more than 1 day and hence he has no need for a safe storage area.

Besides the chemicals, he also sells lots of second-hand glassware and lab-equipment. His house is really crammed with that kind of stuff, but for glassware and electronic devices you do not need to follow all kinds of safety regulations, so having a lot of that kind of stuff in the house is not a problem at all.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top