Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Schmidt rearrangement/reaction
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2008 at 13:13
Schmidt rearrangement/reaction

One of my many vacational tasks this christmas is to learn about rearrangement reactions. One of the reactions I can find very little information for is the Schmidt rearrangement. All I have found is that this is a reaction between a ketone and hydrazoic acid, presumably generated in situ, although this is not of importance.

One thing I cannot find (and definately need) is a mechanism for this reaction. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks in advance.
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 30-12-2008 at 13:43

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/schmidt-reac...

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/rearrang.htm (scroll down)
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2008 at 14:20

I obviously didn't look as hard as I thought. Thanks very much.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 19:53

Right I'm now having another problem with this rearrangements work. Rather than start a new thread I'll post the question here. I'm supposed to predict the major product of several reactions but the last one I can't do.

Ph-CH2COCHN2 --Ag2O/MeOH--> ?

After drawing out the structure for the organic molecule, I appear to have some kind of diazo compound. I'm sure the diazo group would love to leave as nitrogen at some point in the reaction. The substrate looks as if it could participate in a Favorskii rearrangement, but instead of the leaving group being a halide, its nitrogen instead. However as there is a C=N bond rather than a C-X bond, I am finding it hard to break the double bond in a mechanism.

Also, can somebody enlighten me as to the purpose of the Ag2O? It wouldnt form methoxide ions with the methanol would it? Ag2O + 2MeOH => 2Ag+ + 2MeO- + H2O? I am not sure of its purpose here.

I am grateful to anyone who attempts to answer these rather puzzling questions, and I also hope my tutor doesnt browse this board :P
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 20:22
THE SCHMIDT REACTION

by HANS WOLFF

Organic Reactions Vol 3
Chapter 8, pp 307-336

This volume scanned by S. C. Wack is available in forum library.

One of the major plus points of OR chapters is their emphasis on reaction mechanisms and of course very extensive literature servay accompanied by summary in tabular form.

Hope you will get your starting point there.

Gluck and Very Happy Prosperous and Joyous New Year to All :)

gsd
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2009 at 07:14

Thanks for bringing my attention to this collection of books. The reaction I posted above is not a Schmidt reaction (AFAIK) and I am still struggling with it. Am I right in thinking that the starting material is a diazo compound (like diazomethane)? I've tried writing a mechanism for it for over an hour now and I just cant see anything that would work. I spose it doesnt help that I dont know what the reagent pair do.

EDIT: I have found that the reaction is an Arnst-Eistert, forming a carbene, followed by Wolff rearrangement, yielding a ketene. This will react with the MeOH to form the methyl ester. However the function of the Ag2O has eluded me. Can anyone shed some light on this?

[Edited on 2-1-2009 by DJF90]

Go To Top