Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home lab Start Kit?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 23:48
Home lab Start Kit?

This is my first post here although i have been hanging around for some time now.

I was woundering what materials one would need to start a fully funtional home lab?

I have some experiance with basic organic chemistry although minor and no formal training yet have decided to set my self on a goal to find out which substance in the essential oil of lavender is the one that causes vivid and lucid dreams.

I feel from reading so many post here that the discussion of what I know about this oil and my ideas for project is best suited for a threed elseware.

Main thing is As alway
1. Easy access to chemicals(because honestly I feel like a criminal ordering chemicals and shy away from it)

2. Reagents needed to perform test on the various constitutes to make sure I have what I think I do.

3. Reagents to precipitate the differnt fractions of chemicals.
I would prefer to seperate the oil chemicaly because my 'Lab' gear is less then optimal and mostly improvised plus my still is made of iron and copper and i dont want side reactions complicating things.

4. ect ect....this is what i need help on:P
Some other ideas on what one would need.

After I isolate it I want to attempt a synthesis of it and being that Im not sure what im going to encounter just of yet what would be the most basic of reagents one would need such as Oxidizers, Solvent , reducers, ect..

So far I have aquired...(hardware store mind you)

Sodium meta bisulfite for ketone adducts(Im pretty sure that Ketones are what im after but test will only confirm this)

HCl

NaOH/KOH liquid(Junk just Junk I cant find red devil lye anymore)

Solvents:Acetone/Naptha/MEK/Toluene/Xylene

I wanted an oxidizer but i couldnt seem to find KMnO4 anymore

If anyone would care to give me a few pointer on what to get it would be greatly Appriciated

Thank you,
Sedit
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 23:59

"essential oil of lavender is the one that causes vivid and lucid dreams"

I fucking loled...the is a first one :D..you want to make MDA/MDMA/MDEA etc.. from lavender oil.... Good luck and please tell us when you have it figured out:P
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 00:06

MDA from lavender? your out your friggin mind brother
there isnt a constitute to my knowlage in lavender that could even come close to creating MDA

And for your information I distill sassafrass when i feel like it so if i wanted to make something as simple as MDMA ect...I WOULD

Now with this guys drunken foolishness out of the way can any one here help me?

[Edited on 5-1-2009 by Sedit]
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 01:26

Trying to separate the constituents of essential oils is a bit beyond basic chemistry and the typical home lab; they frequently have similar boiling points, rearrange if mistreated, and are sensitive of oxygen. Physical separations are the general method, chemical means are rarely useful. For this sort of work you need a chromatograph or a good spinning band still.

Synthesis would be tricky, isomers and stereoisomers are almost the rule here, lots of work and separation of those isomers at various steps along the way; l-linalol in oil of lavender and d-linalol in coriander smell quite different. Some of these natural compounds are frequently used as starting points for the synthesis of other natural compounds, as their carbon skeletons are troublesome to build up synthetically.

http://lib.njutcm.edu.cn/yaodian/ep/EP5.0/16_monographs/mono...
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 11:55

Thank you for that link not_important,

I agree synthesis has the potential to be very tricky and before I undertake this I think I will buy a mini organic chemistry glassware set

http://www.aceglass.com/page.php?page=9024
this seems like it could get me started in the right direction and its cost was not as high as I thought they would be. Still dont know what the best to get would be such as joint size ect...

"Some of these natural compounds are frequently used as starting points for the synthesis of other natural compounds, as their carbon skeletons are troublesome to build up synthetically."

I agree a ground up approch to almost anything can be trouble some and starting with a natural material would prove most useful for someone such as my self. I got along way to go and alot of reasearch to do on the topic before I get to that point also

Main target goal will be to isolate, synthesis and alter its stucture bit by bit till I could find out what is causing dreams to not be erased from memory like they normaly are or increase in REM sleep. If any one has ever had a dream after ingesting trace amounts of lavender oil they may well know what i speak of.

I will go more indepth on what i want to attempt in another threed after I have aquired enough information to make it worthy of a new threed.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 15:45

@Sedit: You might also be interested in learning about "smell chromatography", which Luca Turin talks about in his delightful book <i>The Secret of Scent</i>. It's a long, thin capillary tube coiled up in a constant temperature oven. The interior of the tube is coated with something "sticky" (I think that's the word he uses) to retard the passage of chemicals further. In some other reading, it seems that the coating is a heavy kind of PEG (polyethylene glycol). To operate, you put in a sample and then wait quite a while (hours) for the various fractions to come out.

If the fraction of lavender you describe is potent enough, you might be able to dose yourself with an inhalant.
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 17:07

Plan on it because they tell you not to take it internally as it is and concentrating them could spell trouble

Id like to check out what your talking about because im a little confused on its operations. Im going to look into this
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 19:09

Sedit, although that glassware is moderately priced as far as ordering brand new glass directly from a supplier or intermediary goes; it's way too expensive for a beginner. Since you're probably not concerned with "microscopic" amounts of contaminants you will probably find a better deal on eBay. Just buy new or semi-used glassware that is good quality. There are some pointers on this forum about what to look out for but, in general, if you have some idea of what you're doing, you can save a lot of money and still have similar if not the same results and products.

I've never had any trouble out of the ordinary from glassware purchased from eBay. Brand new glassware, IMO, is only for people who know they will be into chemistry for the rest of their lives and need products that are top quality and will absolutely last a lifetime.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 21:22

Yeh i know sorry i put up the wrong link the one i was looking at was $357 for the same type of kit
http://www.aceglass.com/page.php?page=4250

Is this reasonable or would Ebay still prove useful?

Thing i like about the set im showing is the place is only right down the street from me and free of shipping fee's.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 22:29

I'd say, if you can spare the money, go for it. Are you in the US? If so you might want to consider a more common "taper". 14/10 might be common, but not to my knowledge or experience. Maybe someone else would be able to tell you with more confidence whether or not it is common in the US.

Also, if the economy here keeps going south you know you will have very good glassware that will last a lifetime if maintained properly. It just depends on your budget. And if the US currency gets bad at least will have traded it for something valuable beforehand.

So, obviously you have many factors to consider but ultimately the decision rests on you.

[Edited on 1-6-2009 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 22:47

Yup US it is...
I have found a very good set on Ebay like you said with 2 differnt size pear shaped three way flask and alot more pieces for almost 100$ less. Im going to scronge around Ebay somemore before making a decision my birthdays tommorow maybe ill treat my self to something nice that iv always wanted;)

Iv always had buyers remorse with almost everything
As soon as i see the price drop or find something better cheeper i feel like crap.
I hope i dont deal with that in this situation.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 17:22

If you want full-sized glassware then these guys are competative:-
http://www.organicglassware.com/

I bought their deluxe kit, and it arrived in excellent condition after a three-month surface trip from Canada to New Zealand.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-3-2009 at 07:13

Prices *are* competitive---almost suspiciously so---I'm trying to stop the words "origin" and "Chinese" coming to mind. . .
And you had to wait a full three months?
Shipping charges alone must have taken some of the gloss off. . .
It would be somewhat ironic, though, if the stuff was Chinese---shipped all the way to Canada and then back the way it came and on to you.
I assume by "excellent condition" you mean no breakages, cracks or pieces missing.
But, you're a satisfied customer and that's what counts. . .
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2009 at 15:57

Hmm, Yeh pricing does not seem to bad but a three month wait does, do you think they could be fast delivering to the US?
The way things are now though at this rate im not going to have the money I need for some time now.:(
Why did I ever have kids? It would be cheeper to support a crack habit.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-3-2009 at 20:56

It was three months because that is the time that shipping takes between Manitoba and Auckland.

Airfreight would have doubled the price.

Regardless of where it was manufactured, the glassware was of high quality and was a thing of beauty to behold.

Go To Top