Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tinkery or Science?
CleffedUp
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinating

smile.gif posted on 7-2-2009 at 12:55
Tinkery or Science?

Briefly on me, for some context: "Science buff," generally inquisitive, interested in the subject, might take it up, just trying to get a feel for what I'm actually getting into.

When I think "amateur chemist," I think of the stereotype of the tinkerer in the garage practicing something probably more like alchemy, kinda slapping things together and just hoping to keep his eyebrows. When I think of the chemists at, say, Pfizer, I envision a much more documentation-heavy process based deep in theory.

In your "amateur experimentalism," where do you see yourself between these (perhaps silly) extremes?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to my lurking. :)

Edit: Qualified question with "in your 'amateur experimentalism'"

[Edited on 2-7-2009 by CleffedUp]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 13:31

I see my experimenting much more like doing scientific research than doing alchemy. I have the impression that there are quitre a few members over here who do rather advanced things.

Although I regard my work as scientific, it of course cannot touch at the level of industrial or university labs. This is simply due to lack of equipment and (sometimes) reagents. But you will be surprised to see how many interesting things can be discovered even nowadays by home chemists and many of these things are not at all described in text books (have a look at the riddles section of my website for a few examples, see link below at my response).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
CleffedUp
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinating

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 13:45

Will do, and thanks for the reply woelen. Since posting I found the O/T forum, and it does seem like there are a lot of people who work in labs professionally, then go home to play (if that's the right word). For these people I guess the more precise question would be how much of the process follows you home?

Just as an example, I work in IT/software. When I'm being paid, an analysis and application spec that precedes tangible work can span dozens and dozens of pages. On the other hand, the development work I do on my own is much more "from the hip," going by a few lists and flowcharts and what not. In the latter, I tend to rely more on my intuition than the process, the extremes here being an engineer vs. a hacker.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 01:21

There are people on this forum who might fit your first idea and there are others here who come very close to commercial capabilities and skills.

And still others who are professionals.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top