Printable Version  
Author: Subject: thin high temperature resistant coatings
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:38
thin high temperature resistant coatings

Hi,

I've been trying to find a material that I can coat as a form of resist through through pore sizes of about 50-100nm. I'm hoping to deposit 20-50nm layer but I'm having difficulty coming up with ideas. Bascially the coating should be temperature resistant up to 900-1000C and not reactive with metal oxides such as MgO and ZnO. What I was thinking was using a very dilute solution of CuSO4 and evaporating onto the surface, followed by heating to 650C to hopefully form CuO. Does anyone have any ideas on how this might go? Would CuO form a thin film or suitably dense packing to stay stable (ie. in place ) for a little while longer or would I find the CuO on the roof of the furnace. Any suggestions welcome.
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:42

Diamond-Like carbon (DLC) coatings are supposed to be the best. They have been discussed in other threads, especially in the Technochemistry section.
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:50

Indeed they do sound like they would be up to the job, however I'm not sure that I'll be able to aquire the setup for that. Any thoughts on the idea I suggested?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 12:44

Quote:
Originally posted by daragh8008
I've been trying to find a material that I can coat as a form of resist through through pore sizes of about 50-100nm. I'm hoping to deposit 20-50nm layer but I'm having difficulty coming up with ideas.
What is the substrate to be protected and what is the material trying to resist?
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2009 at 02:54

THe substrate is Si[111] covered with zinc oxide seed layer( i think the seeds are [002] perpendicular to the substrate). ontop of that is a porous/textured polystyrene layer. The holes that I want to coat into are through the polystyrene to cover the seed layer. Once selected areas are coated the pollstyrene is to come off and Carbothermal reduction growth is to be done on the remaining areas aka the areas not coated with the mask. Thanks
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 13-3-2009 at 06:25

Look up "Geo Polymers" on google. You get some sodium silicate and chuck in a load of mullite - paint it on and let it dry. You then have to cure it at a few hundered degrees. If you don't cure it it will foam up at high temp and give a ceramic-type char which is highly insulating. Problem is this char will melt around 850C unless cured off.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2009 at 06:27

Quote:
Originally posted by daragh8008
Once selected areas are coated the pollstyrene is to come off and Carbothermal reduction growth is to be done on the remaining areas aka the areas not coated with the mask.
Hmm. Your reduction process is going to be reducing your resist, if possible. Is this a problem? Is it a feature?

Is there a risk that the carbothermal process you're anticipating will form SiC on the substrate? Would SiC formation be a bad thing? Probably yes for electrical applications and no for mechanical ones, but I don't know the larger context.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2009 at 07:03

I suspect that metal and semimetal alkoxides may be the way to go. Al, Ti, Zr, Si, Mg, Nb, and others, all form alkoxides soluble in organic solvents, and react with water - liquid or vapour - to form the metal oxide/hydroxide.

They can be modified, silicon and titanium often have amine radicals attached to the metal MCl + HNR2 => M-NR2 + HCl, then reacted with the alcohol to form the modified alkoxide. Modified alkoxides have been used to form thin films, or as bonding enhancers for other coatings. In some cases with high amino loading a nitride or oxynitride is formed after firing, rather than an oxide.

Some metal alkoxides form mixed alkoxides with the alkali metals, these can form glasses when hydrolysed and fired. Similarly boron or phosphorus can be included as glass formers.
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2009 at 07:47

THanks for the suggestions. IT has given me food for though. I'm not worried about the reduction process. What I do is mix graphite and zinc oxide and grind them together. Its then heated down stream in a tube furnace in an argon stream at 900C. This grow nicely aligned wires on seeded substrates. Will give the alkoxides a look over. I'm wondering if the application of alkoxides will dissolve the seed layer. Could be worth a try. THanks for the ideas though
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-3-2009 at 04:02

Well it sort of worked in the end, some stayed on the substrate but most coated the furnace. I think some fine tweaking is required. Might change the sulphate to the hydroxide in situ for a lower temperature decomposition. And see how that gets on.

Go To Top