Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hygrometers in Desiccators
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 20:54
Hygrometers in Desiccators

Does anyone here keep a hygrometer in their desiccator?

I just purchased a pair of cheap (~6 USD) dial hygrometers from a pet shop to monitor my desiccator. I think the hygrometers are intended for terrariums. I placed one hygrometer inside my Drierite (anhydrous calcium sulfate) desiccator a few days ago, and the other has been sitting on my desk for comparison.

I just took a look at my desiccator, and it appears that the needle of the hygrometer has dropped well below 0% humidity on the scale. The one on the desk still reads around 40% (I made sure that I bought a pair which showed the same humidity reading while on the shelf at the store). What does this mean? Is the CaSO4 giving off corrosive gasses which have attacked the fine metal coil in the hygrometer?

[edit]
I suppose it would be easy to remove the hygrometer into the outside atmosphere and see if the reading returns to match the control hygrometer. I hesitate to do this, however, because I store my most expensive hygroscopic and light sensitive reagents in this desiccator. I prefer to avoid introducing moisture or gasses which could degrade the reagents and will hydrate the desiccant. The less I open it, the better. (I'm also paranoid about chipping the now flawless ground seal.)

[Edited on 6/2/09 by bfesser]
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 21:04

No, it means that they are indeed "cheap dial hygrometers", intended for monitoring normal humidity ranges as found in nature and which rarely drop below 20% for most dry regions where animal life is found.

User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 03:16

Adding anhydrous copper sulfate can tell you whether your salts are wet (although this is far as precise).Theoretically your desiccator shouldn't contain any water at all.

The seal can be treated with vacuum grease and that will ensure it to be leak-free.

What a fine day for chemistry this is.

Go To Top