Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Smoke without fire ?
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2009 at 16:26

Could be a bit bulky for the hem of a cloak,plus i'd like to avoid using concentrated nh4/hcl for safety reasons,but maybe worth looking into if i can find a small enough fan.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 23-7-2009 at 13:34

Look at how "professional" smoke machines work and make a miniature version that runs on a small 12V battery or something like that? Are you good with electronics?

Just because something gets hot does not mean it can't be close to someone's body. I think it can be done with a little work and ingenuity.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2009 at 06:05

The smoke machine i had (my brother broke it) worked by dripping an oily substance on a very hot metal plate, i think it may need a fairly large battery to produce enough power to do this.
I am at the moment looking into using smoke pellets (i should have thought of this before we use them for checking flues).
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2009 at 10:18

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
Look at how "professional" smoke machines work and make a miniature version that runs on a small 12V battery or something like that?
It's vaporization onto a hot plate. Electrical power from batteries is horribly inefficient for this. I'd look at repurposing a butane-powered soldering iron as the heating element. If it needs to be small, you'll need one with an adjustment valve to get the heat production down into the right range.
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2009 at 10:32

Butane powered hot tongs maybe ?
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2009 at 20:49

I would just like to state that breathing ANY kind of smoke is bad thing for your health and lungs. I would suspect distilled water or some normal saline would be harmless, maybe even dry ice with distilled water, but breathing atomized mineral oil, or other liquids is not a good thing. Once something is in your lungs and touches a surface it can only come out through your blood stream, or stay there. Other solids, even though they may not harm you immediately are often time bombs. I'll mention silica dust and asbestos as two famous 'inert non toxic' examples. Any smoke or dust generated by a pyrotechnic device should be avoided as well. Would you inject the residue from a pyrotechnic device into your bloodstream? Inhaling a substance will expose your blood to it in seconds.

[Edited on 26-7-2009 by Mr. Wizard]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top