Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nmr wanted
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 12:35
nmr wanted

I'm looking for a working nmr available because you're upgrading and don't have room for the older equipment.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 12:52

He he aren't we all looking for such equipement? :)

Can't you see with your local university if they can't charge you a few analyses?

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 13:16

I assume you want some old 60MHz machine with permanent magnets? I don't think they made any higher frequency ones without liquid helium cooling, because by the time I started my profession most institutions already had or were about to buy the 300MHz machines (which are nearly impossible to move without quenching the superconductor based magnet) . Anyway, a 60MHz will give you a lousy spectra which may or may not be useful, depending on the structure. If I remember correctly, the old 60MHz machines used larger cuvettes which means you will waste a lot of money on deuterated solvents for a lousy spectra. I would suggest to follow Klute's suggestion instead. Also because I doubt any institution still has a working 60MHz machine, given that they were phased out a couple of decades ago or severed into pieces for showing the insides of an NMR machine to the students. The only chance is that someone maybe stored one such ancient machine in his garage and now wants to get rid of it.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 13:20

The permanent magnet machines are still being sold and manufactured. Anasazi makes 60 and 90 MHz instruments intended for teaching on a budget. They advertise in J. Chem. Ed. all the time. They are cheap by comparison to superconducting units but still more expensive than most new cars.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 13:33

Yes, I saw those being advertised, mostly for in process analysis, but never actually saw the machine and the spectra they give. There still exist new lab top NMR machines with permanent magnets, but the problem is in that they are not old machines that would end up on the "flea market". There were times, maybe even 10 years ago, when one could actually get a permanent magnet machine for free, but those times seem past by now.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 20:17

Yep.

IIRC, an Anasazi 60 MHz with a HETCOR probe was going for ~$75,000 US, installed and trained, last year. Of further interest, a 300 mHz Varian was recently put up for the same amount, installed!

For the most part, the resolution of 60MHz "workhorse" spectra are fine. I'd take a free Anasazi any day of the week.

Quite cheap for NMR!

Oh yes, simple 1H and 13C NMR are about $15 each, via University.

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 21-7-2009 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 23:56

There are some example of spectra obtained from the Anasazi 60/90 MHz machines on their homepage:
http://www.aiinmr.com/spectra/base_h1.htm

I was surprised to see the couplings resolve practically as good on a 300MHz machine. I must admit this is incomparable and nothing to do with the lousy resolution from the prehistoric non-FT 60MHz machines.
No wonder the price is thereabout. I'm surprised I don't hear much about these machines. Everybody fantasizes about the 800MHz dinosaurs which need a hangar for their instalment, but these bench machines are rarely ever mentioned. I guess the spectral resolution competitiveness does not mean much when there is no real price competitiveness.

Edit: Ozone, are you sure you can get a 300MHz Varian for only 75k$? That price does not sound right. I had in mind more a price several times that, but I do not actually remember how much we paid for it. Could it be the price dropped so much in last ten years or so? That sounds just too cheap to be real.

[Edited on 21/7/2009 by Nicodem]
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 21-7-2009 at 00:03

Doesn't it take some knowledge of second-order NMR theory to interpret low field spectra? I was under the impression that it's somehow a bit different... I do know that there are kits out there to convert 60MHz varian CW NMR's to FT, and supposedly the spectra are pretty good.
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 21-7-2009 at 22:32

Whats this nonsense. I have 2 NMR instruments at 60/90MHz bought on ebay not long ago for $100 each. Some of the best research in chemistry in the past was made on these before the superconducting magnets became available. Its a bit of an overstatement to say Anasazi 'make' 60MHZ NMRs, what they do actually is what I do, use the old magnet (which is the heart of the NMR machine) from the EM360's etc which they will buy from you for a few hundred dollars, and give convert it to fft using cheap modern processors and RF electronics, so the instrument is computer controlled. Except they now sell it for the price of a car. I guess they found a niche to make money.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 22-7-2009 at 08:02

I didn't realize Anasazi was built entirely on stocks of old instruments. I saw that they did talk about doing conversions of old instruments on their web site, but I know that in their ads they have also offered complete systems, magnets and all provided from the company. I also remember them being more like $30,000 for a fully outfitted 60 MHz system rather than the $75,000 quoted upthread, but perhaps their prices fluctuate based on demand and availability of old systems to serve as feedstock.

It's surprising how many different NMR manufacturers there are serving such a small market. It rather makes me despair of instrument prices dropping significantly, even as manufacturers find ways to slash the cost of electronics and simplify cooling systems to eliminate dependence on liquid helium from offsite.

[Edited on 7-22-2009 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-7-2009 at 08:43

Neither did I figured out they were upgrading old Varian's machines. When you visit their homepage there is nothing that could make you think their machines are not built de novo. But on further search you get this:
http://anasazi.main1web.com/welcome-to-aiinmr-com/webuy/

Looks like Len was one lucky guy to get those machines practically for free. This is certainly bad news for those like chemrox who might have hopped for a old continuous wave permanent magnet based NMR. Their price must be quite something now that there is demand from Anasazi. And to think that the universities were offering them for free at the end of the nineties as if it was some kind of garbage? :(
There are also more honest companies who clearly state that what they do is upgrading old CW machines into FT machines, for example: http://www.em360upgrade.de/

They did in fact found a good niche. A small FT-NMR machine that gives spectras of acceptable quality is certainly going to sell well. The big machines are always occupied 24h per day and when one needs just a bloody proton NMR analysis, a 60MHz alternative is certainly useful, especially if it is not much more expensive than twice the price of a HPLC system or a single NMR probe of a 300MHz NMR.
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2009 at 09:49

IN the homebrew NMR thread (old) I had contacted Anasazi to get a quote.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7993#p...

My value was returned from that quote. The refurb Varian has been sold, but the original notification is given here, cached in my spaminator.

60-90 mHz FT instruments are good-to-go.

Cheers,

O3

varian_01_smaller.jpg - 60kB

--Albert Einstein
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 08:50

For anyone who's interested... Check out eBay! :o
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 19:55

I suppose you should ask if that puppy quenched?

~dwooo~

O3

--Albert Einstein

Go To Top