Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The taste of salts
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 18:44

It's my understanding that sulfate is not absorbed by the intestine. Hence, fairly large doses of sulfates, like magnesium sulfate, have an osmotic bulking effect and therefore act as laxatives.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 21:32

The one I have wondered about in the past is who was the taste tester who said prussic acid tasted like bitter almonds and did he actually have enough time left to relate this taste to anyone else?
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2009 at 22:22

Perhaps he is the one who also define the taste of the nitrite salts ;)

I'd think one could get a small enough amount to be safe, especially if they had the antidote right next to them - though probably back then... They probably didn't have the antidote.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 31-8-2009 at 19:22

Potassium Chloride tastes pretty much like Sodium Chloride.

Very handy. Because, unlike regular salt, consuming Potassium Chloride does not cause excessive fluid retention. In your diet, substituting KCl for NaCl, will trim your weight a few pounds, AND lower your blood pressure somewhat.

NuSalt, a Potassium Chloride product, costs about $1.50 per 3 Ounces, at your local WinCo.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 07:40

I actually tasted sodium nitrite but without putting it in my mouth! :)

When I had that H2S exposure accident, I injected a fair amount of NaNO2, and after the initial burn in the arm, had a salty/bitter taste in the mouth.. This happens quite often during IV injections of products, I have been told this happens with good quality meth: you get the slight taste after an IV..

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 18:41

"Potassium Chloride tastes pretty much like Sodium Chloride."

You think? I can differentiate KCl and NaCl blindfolded. KCl has a bitter aftertaste that lingers for me... blech.

sparky (^_^)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 22:53

I suppose it depends on the individual too......not getting too metaphysical about it all :P

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 23:09

Quote: Originally posted by sparkgap  
"Potassium Chloride tastes pretty much like Sodium Chloride."

You think? I can differentiate KCl and NaCl blindfolded. KCl has a bitter aftertaste that lingers for me... blech.

Everything I've read backs you up. As you taste increasing concentrations of KCl, it goes from vaguely sweet to salty to bitter+salt, with the bitter flavour lingering. Placing solid KCl on your tongue pushes the concentration up into the levels that evoke bitterness, using it to salt soup may not reach those concentrations.

And, yes, there is genetic variation on the sensitivity to the salt and bitter tastes.

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 02:31

Nobody mentioned alkaline substances. So I will.

Ammonium hydroxide in less than 5% taste much like baking soda.

Sodium Carbonates starts off like the bicarbonate but ends with a shocking strong bite. I think this is the threshold of alkalinaty tasting as everything more basic is just going to taste outright caustic ie sodium metasilicate, trisodium phosphate etc etc. Incidently, I use TSP to soften cooked and baked on food residues on my frying pans. :D

Fellow molecular manipulator
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top