Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solution for destroying phosphorus
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 14:47
Solution for destroying phosphorus

I will soon be attempting the synthesis of white P from red P on a small scale (1 gram first, trial), like woelen did:
http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/RedP2WhiteP/index.html
I'm taking a lot of precautions, but still there is the very small possibility that the DURAN test-tube breaks, and that hot burning phosphorus is sprayed around. I will be working behind an almost closed sash (fume hood), but my hands COULD be hit by a piece of burning P.

So if I would get it on the skin, I would immediately extinquish by putting my hand in a decomtaminating solution. Why? Any phosphorus that remains in a wound can poison and kill you.
Military uses copper(II)sulfate solution. But it's action is quite slow, and copper is toxic, especially because it is well absorbed from a wound (in contrast to when it is ingested). I have been looking for better alternatives.

-Neutral or acidic (no more than 1M H2SO4) KMnO4. Problem is that the acidic solution cannot be stored (unstable, decomposes), and KMnO4 is precious as it is watched here. But I think it's action is much faster. But is KMnO4 toxic?
-A solution of a halogen. So chlorine or bromine water, or a solution of iodine in aq. KI. The latter is commonly applied to skin to desinfect, so I think it does not harm, and it's true that it rapidly destroys white P right?
The chlorine and bromine work very well i think. They are corrosive, but not that bad. However, I wonder how corrosive it is to open, burned skin.
-Bleach, corrosive but non-toxic. Does it quickly destroy phosphorus?

And as gloves, I have seen people recommend leather gloves. Do these really protect from a phosphorus fire, 800C hot? I would think it will just burn through...

[Edited on 11-9-2009 by Jor]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 16:45

Jor, I share your concerns regarding CuSO4 to decontaminate P burns, but I think the danger of absorbed Cu applies to large burns, such as occur in war or industry.

But in high school a young lady did get a little burning white P on her finger and we treated it with CuSO4 per the lab manual of the day. Her finger did heal, for what its worth. A more modern book on poisoning says to remove it from the skin using a stream of water. In med school they taught us to use water to remove chemicals from the skin and not to conduct a neutralization on the skin.

Where the heck are you that KMnO4 is watched?? Here on the east coast of the US the hardware stores sell large containers, I think up to several pounds. I bought the smallest container, a lifetime supply.

I think the advantage of leather gloves is that you can pull them off before the P burns through to your skin.

Personally, I would not neutralize it with a halogen, but that's just my instinct.

My best recommendation is to remove it using a rapid stream of water, keep it immersed in water and call the Poison Control Center. They usually have the most current information.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by entropy51]

Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Go To Top