Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: carbon disulfide
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 20-9-2009 at 16:42

My prep for DCM from paint stripper is to distill the mess to get rid of anything insoluble. Don't distill to dryness or the flask will be hell to clean. Wash the MeOH out of the distillate with a couple of water washes. Dry the DMC on MgSO4, then distill.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 20-9-2009 at 17:08

Great idea, there are two types of paint stripper with DCM in the UK atleast, one is DCM/MeOH with a gummy additive, the other is DCM/MeOH without the gummy stuff, you can shake the bottles to tell if it is very viscous or not! I can't recall the brands though, been a decade or longer since I had to buy that $#*!... There are also paint strippers with other solvents other than DCM/MeOH.

Be nice to see a post comparing the various possible solvents with yields etc...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 08:14

Test for peroxides???? i thought i just need to check for crystals.
And after all that i don't have any powdered tin (it's tin oxide) i have some granules but their a bit big.
Another itchy blunder :D
off to ebay !!!!!!!!!!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 09:29

What panziandi is referring to is testing for ether peroxides. I would say don't use ether. Another viable option to me seems to be ligroin (petroleum ether, boiling range 40 ... 60 C). This is cheap, non-toxic and OTC and very easy to handle. Only point of concern is its high flammability.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top