Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Awesome YouTube Video
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 15:41
Awesome YouTube Video

Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdfHMz7WeXI&feature=chann...

This guy has some serious equipment, he must work in the chemical industry. I hope hes on this forum!
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 16:19

Awesome equipment, but most people with that equipment also have walk-in hoods. Not so fond memories of the years I ran that scale for a living. Everyday I said to myself, "there must be something better I can do to earn a paycheck".

If done correctly, you can start that reaction and add the acetone slowly and the CHCl3 distills out gently. I just cautioned someone in another thread about runaways when making CHCl3. My first attempt was much more energetic than that one, although on a 1/50 th scale.

But someone who can afford that setup can't afford to buy chloroform?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 19:30

I generally work with 19/22 scale glass. The only time I want anything bigger is when I'm trying to stock up on a reagent like chloroform or nitric acid. Then I wish I had 24/40 glass.

That's beautiful equipment. He probably made the video after-hours at his work site just for fun.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 21:11

Small scale is the way to go for most experiments. I don't like using a lot of reagents since I am afraid I will not be able to get any more or will run out, etc.

Large scale is good for distilling solvents or other reagents you need a lot of.

He totally gassed his garage with acetone and chloroform. My theory is he got the glassware from a plant closing sale and did it just for fun.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2009 at 04:43

Buying it would defeat the point - equipment over chemicals any day!
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2009 at 06:42

This video nicely illustrates why the haloform reaction is no good for producing respectable quantities of chloroform in an amatuer setting - Using a 50L flask he gets 2.5L of product... Thats a factor of 20. Also note the runaway - most people attempting to perform this reaction will not have such sophisticated cooling and stirring setups, and this can lead to trouble for the home experimenter. I wouldnt like to run this reaction in a 1L flask and get less than 50mls for all the hard work.

On a lighter note, this guy has some serious glassware. What do you want to bet that if he had just one listed chemical in posession at the time of a bust (something as trivial as ether or sulfuric acid) then they would try him for meth manufacture?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 11-10-2009 at 06:52

Yeah, I was thinking what a lot of work for nothing. I can't tell for sure, but it looked to me like that mess was too thick to stir. Running a haloform or anything else on this scale without good stirring is really dumb. Nothing like having a big puddle of unreacted acetone floating on top when it takes off. Guaranteed recipe for a runaway. I hope they try a Skraup on this scale. Now that would be entertaining!
Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
What do you want to bet that if he had just one listed chemical in posession at the time of a bust (something as trivial as ether or sulfuric acid) then they would try him for meth manufacture?
I'm pretty sure acetone is listed over here, even though it makes no sense. Just having glassware like that is begging for an indictment.

Go To Top