Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Radio four competition for non-scientists
schwabb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 10:16
Radio four competition for non-scientists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pl1gz/Material_World...

could be suitable for mad-scientists...?

just ignore the first 30 seconds or whatever, plus there is a load of irrelevant stuff about salt, but other than that, i'm sure some sm members would find this interesting.

plus, if nothing else it's certainly a real shout on the side of amateur science, seems to be pretty much straight advocating it.

[Edited on 9-1-2010 by schwabb]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 11:43

Yuck! Jonathon, (puke) Woss. . .

[Edited on 9-1-2010 by hissingnoise]
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:39

all sing along... There's no business like show business...

Let's not worry about the variables, like how much liquid, the shape of the containers, mineral content, dissolved gasses. Pass the dry ice and acetone please. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing.
schwabb
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 14:05

sometimes i find sciencemadness a little tedious, everyone is so dismissive of everything so as to elevate themselves in the eyes of others. this online community is missing a fair amount of community.

im not sure how long you listened for, but the american guy (who lectures in chemistry at UCL, and seemed fairly sound last time i was down there) does touch upon all your mentioned variables, and completely acknowledges how shit the experiment is. It was completely dumbed down for the non-scientist, but that wasn't the part i thought would interest people, have patience...

im not directing this solely at mr wizard as the proliferation of such attacks on here pisses me off, and im sure many will agree that a lot of our members could do with following the old 'if you haven't got anything nice to say...' maxim (perhaps changing nice to useful), rather than idly increasing their post count and resultant rating.

essentially, i was just highlighting a fine chance for the advancement of home chemistry in the eyes of the media, with the added potential of someone here who has a dormant idea nagging away at them, finally actualizing it, with the added bonus of doing so in the limelight(of sorts)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 11-1-2010 at 04:57

Quote:
[quote ] im not directing this solely at mr wizard as the proliferation of such attacks on here pisses me off, and im sure many will agree that a lot of our members could do with following the old 'if you haven't got anything nice to say...' maxim (perhaps changing nice to useful), rather than idly increasing their post count and resultant rating.

Schwabb, I'm sure there are other members who are interested in your competition - I just expressed a lack of interest.
I'm fairly sure that goes for Mr. Wizard too.
We weren't actually attacking your idea!
Science competitions, though, are more for the younger members here.
And you're right; having nothing good to say, I should have said nothing at all.

Go To Top