Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestions for applications of microfluidic devices in amateur chemistry?
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 00:22
Suggestions for applications of microfluidic devices in amateur chemistry?

So one thing that has been a back burner project which might suddenly become a high priority one due to work with a professor, would be DIY microfluidic devices.

Now I'm wondering, what kind of devices would sciencemadness.org members find useful.

As a general rule - no organic solvents, the materials involve won't handle them typically (as a large proportion of the reaction mixture, an aqueous solution with organic components is quite fine).

Keep in mind, at such low volumes, they are mostly diagnostic/qualitative. Separations occur very quickly in microfluidic devices, so a small chromatography device comes to mind. Also reactions proceed relatively quickly, and in some cases very high yield, due to the fine mixing and lack of diffusion rate limiting in such a small volume (which can reduce yield to some degree).

So probably the devices would fall into 2 categories:
1. Reaction vessels (mix reactants together, can possibly be heated)
2. Separation devices (chromatography, electrophoresis)
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 06:54

The chlorate-and-perchlorate crowd here has use for this kind of technology. pH detection is difficult in a chlorate cell because electrochemical pH probes are attacked by the liquor. A microfluidic titration rig would do nicely. A second application is nitrite detection in a lead dioxide plating bath of lead nitrate.
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 07:25

Hm, that might be a bit trickier, plain microfluidic devices are easy enough to make by etching out a brass metal master, then using PDMS silicone resin to cast the form. Microelectrodes are harder to make apparently from what literature I have done.

I'm not very familiar with chlorate/perchlorate processes, what would the actual chemistry behind finding the pH be? Electrochemical or titration with an indicator?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 08:31

Electrochemical pH = measure the voltage of any reaction that depends only on [H+]. You're measuring the Nernst potential, -59.2mV/decade, not so much any cell reaction.

I understand most probes are sintered glass, which is a fine barrier but will allow diffusion, and I suppose if they're using an Ag/AgCl/saturated KCl electrode, it might be affected by the chlorine in solution. An H+ porous membrane would be better, as long as it isn't chewed up by the corrosive solution (PTFE, PVDF, ???).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2010 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by aonomus  
Microelectrodes are harder to make apparently from what literature I have done.
I'm suggesting not using an electrode at all, but rather a titration with a visible pH indicator. You'd use separate electronics to sense color change, so there would be no need to integrate wiring into the fluidic processor as such.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:08

Go To Top