Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium phosphorescence!
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 13-2-2010 at 04:59
Sodium phosphorescence!

Few days ago, late at night I read from Mellor (thanks Sauron) and this morning I woke up with the impression I had (yet) another erotic chem dream.

Sodium phosphorescence!

Sure enough, falling asleep with the nose in a book may make you think in the morning that you reinvented the wheel or smth.

According to E. Linnemann the oxidation of sodium at ordinary temp. is accompanied by a greenish phosphorescence; and if, when the phosphorescence has ceased, the metal he heated to 60-70 degrees C, the phosphorescence reappears. An analogous phenomenon occurs when sodium acts on water in darkness. The bluish-white streak which sodium makes on paper shows a green phosphorescence which persists longer than the greyis-white streak made by potasium because sodium is not so rapidly oxidized as potassium. (Mellor - chapter XX Alkali metals)

Any takers?

[Edited on 13-2-2010 by a_bab]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-2-2010 at 13:30

Off course, when I read this, I immediately tried. No phosphorescence at all, not even in complete darkness after the eyes become used to the darkness. I also tried with a small piece of white P (I have some, which I made myself from red P) and the latter gives a clearly visible ghost-like appearance of light around the solid piece. I did this comparison just to be sure that my eyes really are used to the darkness.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 13-2-2010 at 14:05

I would not discard it out of hand.
Some phenomena are fugitive.
I would try making metallic streaks on various grades and types of paper with sodium metal.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 13-2-2010 at 15:45

The cited source is from 1850 or something, which may not be reliable. After all we have nowadays zillions of crap patents, and (I'm sure) not verified statements in scientifical works - aka bullshit in papers, with no real research done, just to "be there".

I'll try myself as soon as I can this interesting phenomena.
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-2-2010 at 23:35

My chemistry book (Hollemann-Wiberg) also claims that sodium and potassium give a chemoluminescence when freshly cut in complete darkness. It is only visible on a fresh cut surface, and only lasts a few seconds. So one must cut the sodium in darkness to see it, in contrast to P4 which glows for hours in air.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-2-2010 at 07:11

I indeed first cut the sodium and then I switched off the light. Cutting sodium in complete darkness is not really a safe thing to do.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 16:01

I tried cutting sodium under no light, and found no signs of phosphorescence (I'm surprised)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 11:02

If one had the patience to sit in an almost dark room for an extended period - long enough to become well accustomed to the semi-darkness and then cut the sodium, one might be rewarded by a faint glow. . .

Go To Top