Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone in the US willing to receive grease?
peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 12:14
Anyone in the US willing to receive grease?

I want to order some grease from the US, but the guys selling it refuse to ship it outside the US (due to their supervisor at work saying so). I'm looking for someone to 'bounce' the package off in the US. All you need do is receive it and put it back in the post.

It's nothing approaching questionable, it's just chemically resistant valve grease. Molykote. I need it to seal joints, as the other alternatives aren't working.

If someone would be able to help, that'd be absolutely amazing. ;)

I'd be happy to bounce chemicals back your way. E.g. I can easily buy sublimated iodine here, but know the US guys can't.

PM me if you'd be interested. It should take next to no effort, and I'd be happy to bounce things for you now or in the future.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 12:20

Molykote is easily available at DIY autocare places like Schucks here in the US as a bearing grease. It's hard to believe that a technologically sophisticated country like the UK would not also have it readily available. Perhaps Schucks or AutoZone could ship you a small container of it.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 12:24

It does have it available. From select suppliers and at 100%+ of the price it is in the US. This is a common trend in the UK. Distributors say "We have higher VAT", then add ridiculous amounts onto the US price when the VAT here is 17.5%. I saw one item being sold here and the manufacturer restricted the distributors to just one. This particular one was charging 350% on the US price. When I tried buying some of their products in from the US and reselling them for less, they wouldn't have that (despite telling me directly "We want more distributors!"), and closed my threads and auctions. They don't compete in the same ways internationally. I've experienced the same thing with different manufacturers; these were Peterson strobe and Titan Airless. This is part of the reason why the £ is worth more than the $. Because people here are used to being severely overcharged. A sandwich here costs about $7-8? A cup of coffee is $5-7?

And I'm after a specific Molykote, not the standard lines.

All I need is for someone to have it posted to them and to then put it back in the post. And, again, I'll try to do the same in reverse; specifically, I'd be happy to get sublimated iodine and post it on, as I need to buy some more anyway and no it's not a problem.

[Edited on 21-7-2010 by peach]

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 12:55

Bear in mind that the value of the currencies is different... the UK spends US$1 differently than the US does.

So this higher price would likely be gauged to the UK economy and the power of the Pound. That said, the monopolistic behaviour is awful. Good luck getting some cheap Molykote. :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 13:36

Peach, don't offer to ship I2 into the US. It isn't completely unavailable, we can make our own if need be, and it is a serious crime to either "import" or "export" I2 into the U.S. without a special permit.

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 19:03

Gotchya!

What makes this more confusing is I'm trying to buy it from a small tool shop, not some giant who'd be under the control of Dow Corning, and it's one guy there who seems to not want to sell it outside the US. Don't really know what's going on with that. I even worked out the postage for them and who to ship it with, and did some begging.

Shame about the I2.

A wasp just flew into here, at 4am; the never ending list of odd ass grobblers invading my house to bother me early in the morning continues. [Edit: now there's another... hmmmmm. Curious. Because I was just thinking about the uses of phosphorus by the insecticide industry a few seconds ago. They're like a mini-plague for my thought crimes. They be after me gold shipmaties! Arrrr!]

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by peach]

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 23:05

I think he's gone mad.

We've lost him to the fumes.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 02:20

http://www.google.com/products?q=fluorinated%20grease&oe...:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

These greases may work better and be less contaminating than Moly
There are also dry teflon sleeves avialable for ground glass joints...
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 03:36

For the amount of strange, highly corrosive fumes I produce, my house is turning into a zoo for insects. Another wasp just came in, and now the ants are on their way. Nevermind, they're my canneries in little cages. If the gas won't take a wasp out, it's not killing me.

I've seen the teflon sleeves yep. I'm not too sure about those, because the place I saw selling them said they were 'semi-reusable' and I've seen teflon go funny when exposed to certain solvents.

Up until now, I've been wrapping tapers with PTFE tape. It does work. Vacuums are fine. But the corrosive gases are more of a problem. It's next to impossible to create a wrap without having bumps in it, which then don't make a perfect seal. Gas will leak out around them. Not a rate that's quick enough to make it a health hazard, but enough that I can see little puffs of it floating around some connections and smell it if I put my nose up to them.

I bigger problem with that ^^^ is that anything in the surrounding area WILL corrode. It'll ruin stainless steel, which turns into a massive pain in the ass. Another problem with small gas escapes is that it reduces my polyacetate Keck clips to rubbish. I could use PTFE clips, but they're extremely expensive, the stainless ones are about the same price and the gas shouldn't be leaking out in the first place; prevention beats cure and all that. I'd be worried about those sleeves a.) because they seem 'semi-usable', b.) that I might run into similar problems and c.) they're expensive with regards to a and b.

I thought I'd try Molykote after I saw someone on here praising it.

It's Molykote 3452 chemically resistant valve grease. Which is fluorosilicone thickened with PTFE.

I am seriously tempted to swap to the Krytox as, if anyone knows how to make things inert, it'll be DuPont. The high vacuum grease in the line specifically says it's useful for sealing glassware. Krytox is perfluoropolyether.

I found somewhere mentioning that a drawback of fluorosilicone is it's gas permeability. Whereas Krytox seems designed for low vapour pressures and high vacuum use.

I don't need the kinds of vacuums they're thinking about, but I still need to choose between the two, as I've found somewhere else selling the specific Krytox I'm after. Yet again...

"I will not ship outside the USA."

Perfluoropolyether;

I can't find a good image of fluorosilicone rubber's repeating unit. I would hazard a guess the Krytox is the better option based on chemical inertness. Any advice on this from a reactivity point of view would be great and much appreciated. Particularly if you've ever used one or the other around things like HCl(g).

I know both will probably be fine but, for the price it is per tube and the amount of messing around picking the wrong one may produce, I want to buy one tube and be done with the fiddling with connections. I've done enough fiddling with regards to corrosive gases, and it's making me sore. ;)

Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 05:04

Have a look on Ebay...it may take care of you S&H issues.

Making any esters? some of the propyl esters are used as lures for pests in the wasp family.

[Edited on 7-22-2010 by Eclectic]
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 06:01

I was just reading how, I think it's nonanal, attracts mozzies.

I've been getting harassed by a few of those recently too. I was fast asleep on my bed, drunk, at 3am and managed to hear one come into the room, and wake up. I patiently waited for it to land, as I knew where it was thinking of, and, once it touched down on my nose, it received instant divine intervention.

Beer works well for yellow and black flying embugerances. They climb in, get drunk and then can't be bothered to do anything else.

Ironically enough, these guys are both on eBay. :P

Here's a cute video of a VERY drunk squirrel, he's blasted out of his tiny mind on fermented pumpkins <----- I have no idea why he's running in circles, that's only going to make things much worse

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 10:03

Long as hes not hurting his fellow squirrels...let him waste what few brain cells god gave him.I believe its unconstitutional to do otherwise.Freedom carries a price after all, whether realized or not.
Under Bam Bam care however thier no longer his brain cells to damage.in essence thier Govt property since Obamacare will pay for damage to the item they therfore have a say in how that Items used(your body). as in the military and we could and active mil still can be punished(fines /extra duty) for damaging govt prop.From sunburns to tatoos.:o The argument being if taxpayers and govt is footing the bill for your heathcare they also have a large say in your behaviour as it regards "risky" behaviour.The next shoe to drop!

Molykote grease! Damn!!

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by grndpndr]

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by grndpndr]
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 12:35

From a pissed skwiggle to health care reform in one post. :P

There are quite a few animals that seem to like the creature. Bees and wasps will go for beer. In another video on there, a squirrel's going nuts trying to crawl inside a beer bottle to lick the remains out. Monkey's will purposefully annoy giant caterpillars because they produce some hallucinogenic or intoxicating psychoactive when angered. It's angered or eaten, I don't remember which. Or if it was a chimp or a monkey.

Right, I'm getting the insanely expensive Krytox. I think the low vapour pressure and fact it's designed for hard vacuum work will help avoid bleeding through the tapers and the perfluoropolyether, I'm assuming with it being DuPont, will be next to invulnerable as far as an oil base can be.

Me days of ruined stainless steel kitchen fittings be coming to an end me hearties!

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:05

The madness is infectious, it seems.

I'm surprised that your lab is becoming a zoo, and not a mortuary. :D

-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 15:00

You know what they be sayin' shipmatey, when the rats be jumpin' ship you know she be goin' down

So long as they be nibblin' on me biscuits, I know she be seaworthy

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 23-7-2010 at 05:31

Yar know iodine be essentially cyanide in regards to what it be doing to bacteria, but be next to harmless around humans at those concentrations? Incredible stuff it be.

I found me massive half kilo jar of PVP Iodine from BASF. I never be buyin' antiseptics again me hearties. :P

As I now be acquirin' me grease, I be feelin' okay to drift off topic. grndpndr, be yar in favour of meth, crack and heroin? Those essentially be the end point of yar feelings, "It's be my body, I can be doing what I want to it"

I be in favour of lots of drugs being legalized, but those be horrendously horrible drugs that be highly, chemically, addictive, hurting so many people and be ruining so many lives. If I have to be choosing between authoritarian control and letting them escape, I be sayin', keep them all highly illegal. They be causing too much heart ache to be available. They be plunderin' the choice from their victims, and they be becoming their wenches and distorted once tasting them.

I not be agreeing with the DEA on so much, but I be agreein' that stealin' that choice from someone be one of the most terrible crimes. Someone be havin' to say "this be goin' too far, yars need to be stoppin yar plundarin' of yar mind and the lives of others".

I also be testing the antiseptic / disinfectant qualities of household bleach in laboratory studies against brand name products. That thar molecule be absolutely rippin' apart thar bacteria at vanishingly tiny concentrations, that be next to harmless to humans. Those thar brand name products actually be poor performers with regards to the lashin' thar germs be gettin' with the nine o' tails they be gettin' from bleach. The dirt cheap brand be a brain bendingly crazily powerful germ killar, for even the most serious of germs. Thar be no need to buy brand name anti-germ products, household bleach be orders of magnitude more effective, safer and cheapar... Arrrrr.., be wipin' down your kitchen with bleach. Many of those thar brand names be more harmful and less effective. Bleach be far, far, far bettar... Arrrr.....

[Edited on 23-7-2010 by peach]

Go To Top