Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ceramics raw materials
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2010 at 10:35
Ceramics raw materials

A frequent remark here is that "it's available at a ceramics supplier". In the US, Laguna Clay is a major ceramics manufacturer and distributor. They have an extensive catalog, but of particular interest is their dry raw materials (PDF). It's worth a look through, as there are lot of metals as carbonates or oxides: lithium, strontium, antimony, vanadium, neodymium, erbium (!) and all the common ones. They have calcium and sodium nitrate and phosphate (all four), silicon carbide, some fluorides, etc. Make sure to ask for the prices on 50lb sacks, as the labor cost to down-package is often not worth it.

They have an extensive dealer/distributor network in the US and Canada. Raw material prices like these are dominated by shipping cost. The cheap way to do this is by special order from a local retailer; they can just add your item to the freight truck that shows up periodically anyway.

I don't know who the big names are in Europe or elsewhere in the world. I'm sure there are people here who do, though.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 11:42
Old time photography supply

Dont forget mining/assaying sites either.The also stock some worthwhile items/tech grade sodium nitrate,litharge etc etc .Ya really have to peruse a sight.I havent checked with old time photographers supplys shops but odds are ther are still some hard core photoghraphers that love thier 50-80yr old camera hobbys.And my understanding is old style photography can be a goldmine of chemicals.:D

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by grndpndr]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 11:51

Quote: Originally posted by grndpndr  
And my understanding is old style photography can be a goldmine of chemicals.:D

Yes, a newsletter of a prominent photographic supplies dealer does occaisionally mention an old process that requires cyanide. But I never see any for sale. Perhaps you have to make a special request and you have to be a trusted customer - just guessing here.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 18:24

Close friend used to do all sorts of professional electroplating
back in the eARLY 60S-70'S.from hardcoating AL etc etc.He had access to more toxic chemicals and usefull acids,you name it.
Long term health AKA OSHA wasnt a prominent feature as a result his lungs sound like rocks in a tin can.The corrosive atmosphere and nonexistent ventilation system ate his lungs in short order.The never used protective eyeware,or lab type resistant clothing or even basic respirators and his lungs at 62 sound like it.:(:mad:

Go To Top