Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tips for electrolysis
one_step
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 10:51
tips for electrolysis

hello guys ,
this is my first post here in this greatest chemistry forums.
i heard about it from my friend steve !!!! :Dlol !!!!!!!!i talked too much
ok

i am in my first trial in electrolysismy conditions are :

- i am trying to do it at high temperatuer approximately 100-120 degree celisus . so will the eo of the reactions change also will this affect who will react first?

- working with graphite electrodes (i didnt find commercial graphite electrodes so i will use the graphite rods inside the A size batteries or AA size so is this right or wrong ?

- the paper descripes that the reaction requierd need high overpotential or high hydrogen overpotential on the graphite electrode so that hydrogen not evolved but the required reaction takesplace , how could this achieved ?

- the reaction occure at specific current densities and voltages and i didnt find the instrument how acieve that (variable DC ampere , current powersupply )?

- finelly , i know i talked a lot but i need these points ASAP

many thanks in advance

step by step
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 11:18

The overpotential, both hydrogen and oxygen, of graphite is fairly high but varies much with the exact form and preparation of the carbon. Outside of that is to use metals with higher hydrogen overpotential - Pb, Zn, Cd, Hg Best bet is to read your source document and tract down any referenced docs related to the electrode prep.

Controlling voltage and current implies having volt and amp meters, or a multimenter, and either an adjustable power supply which generally has voltage nad current indication built in (modern), or batteries and a rheostat - high power adjustable resistance (traditional).

Example of power supply - http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Supply-35-Amp-Adjustable-Voltage-P...

one_step
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
The

Example of power supply - http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Supply-35-Amp-Adjustable-Voltage-P...

but this is constant current variable voltage , and the voltage range is too high

i need to work in 0- 3.5 volts only

any way which do you prefere building a circuit for this purpose or to purchase instrument ?
i think building electric circuit is cheaper

step by step

Go To Top