Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New lab scaffolding...
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 05:20
New lab scaffolding...

As part of a significant lab upgrade (it feels like every day is x-mas here, with parcels arriving nearly each day), I built a simple scaffold. From 2 square (4.5 mm) poles of wood (1,000 mm long), 3 12 mm steel tubes (1 mm wall thickness), 3 10 mm aluminum rods (not shown), some rectangular brackets and some long (4 mm diam., about 40 mm long) 'turbo' wood screws, this structure was put together and fastened very securely to a wooden lab bench (4 rectangular fastening brackets to each pole, one on each side):

Usually I would try and cobble something together from 'stuff' but this was too important to me safety wise so I went for broke and used all new materials from B&Q, total cost £47.86 (a bit more than what I bargained for). The 12 mm steel tubes were drilled through towards their ends and then fastened onto the wooden poles with the 'turbo' screws. Altogether about 3 h of graft. The alu rods will be used with lab clamps (expected next week) to create both vertical and horizontal glass ware fastening combinations. There's room on the poles, both high up and near the bottom, for more horizontal bars if needed. Careful observers will note the structure isn't level but that's because the whole bench isn't level! It matters not one jot, IMHO...

Background is a window, with all but the top freshly painted on the inside to keep prying eyes out...

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by blogfast25]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 05:44

Painting the windowglass isn't, IMO, a great idea as it raises suspicion and invites prying eyes - blinds or curtains might be better.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 06:12

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Painting the windowglass isn't, IMO, a great idea as it raises suspicion and invites prying eyes - blinds or curtains might be better.

I eliminated the net curtains that I had before because of the potential fire hazard, not to mention an eco niche for spiders et al. Blinds are hard to keep clean. My lab is located in a very roomy, brick structure garden shed at the back end of my garden. Intruders should be very rare, although I did have some beer cans (full ones!) stolen by someone in the night a couple of months back, they were outside at the back of the house. The second entrance to the garden (the first being the house's back door) has been bolted off ever since.

I don't really see why blinds would not attract curiosity too. But anything is better than plain see-through glass, IMHO...

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by blogfast25]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 16:43

that's not a bad idea, bloggy. i bet it cuts down your set up times a good bit. i have to spend an extra 1/3 time setting up a simple distillation using all the needed stands and whatnot. that can really cut into what little time i get to experiment as it is...

Go To Top