Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help with IR spec reading
spirocycle
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 09:07
Need help with IR spec reading

In orgo class, we had to take an IR spec of our eugenol product and determine its structure.
There are so many freakin peeks, and this is my first one so I am having a real hard time reading it.
based on the boiling behavior, I assume there is little to no DCM left in the sample (no boiling at 55 c), but based on the viscosity and RI, there is not likely significant quantities of water (recorded 1.5267 and the reported value is 1.5410 <http://chemicalland21.com/specialtychem/perchem/EUGENOL.htm>;)

and since it is not miscible with water, and there was no visible interphase, I think its safe to assume it was very dry.
But it was still a very, runny clear liquid, which is not typical according to my chem teacher.

anyway, here is the printout

I have circled the two peaks that I think I identified, and I think that the wide section aroudn 3529 is indicitive of c-o bonding
thanks for helping!
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 12:07

For a start, don't worry about the region below 1000 cm^-1 - this is termed the "fingerprint region" and is rather specific to the compound. What IR spec is good at is identifying functional groups in your molecule. The broad peak at 3529 cm^-1 is due to the phenolic OH (this region is also active for alcohols), and that at 2845 is likely to be your aldehyde C=O stretch. That at 2935cm^-1 is likely to be your terminal alkene. The peaks in the 700-900cm^-1 range are likely to be due to the benzene ring. Peaks in the region 1200-1260 will be due to the phenol again and the phenol and methyl ether C-O stretches.

[Edited on 23-10-2010 by DJF90]
spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 12:31

there is no aldehyde in eugenol, or any other solvents used in the extraction.

also, what peaks would show the allyl group?
and what does that giant peak just over 1500 signify?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 13:17

The first thing to do is to verify that your spectra fits that of eugenol. You can find the IR spectra of eugenol at SDBS. Next, if you want to assign peaks, you can compare them to a table of characteristic IR peaks. Here is one such table (by clicking the links on the table you get to more detailed info). But you should be aware that IR spectra can not and should not be used alone to unambiguously determine the functional groups and structural elements present in the compound. You should have other spectroscopic data as well to determine anything with some proper certainty. But since by comparing with literature spectra you already know the identity of the compound, you can now practice assigning frequencies to the bonds vibrations and stretching using the above linked table.

[Edited on 25/10/2010 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 00:35

Quote: Originally posted by spirocycle  
there is no aldehyde in eugenol, or any other solvents used in the extraction.

also, what peaks would show the allyl group?
and what does that giant peak just over 1500 signify?

1500cm<sup>-1</sup> + 1430cm<sup>-1</sup> are your benzene "fangs." If you're good at reading spectra (and I'm not), you can use the peaks between 1500 and 2000 cm<sup>-1</sup> to find the substitution pattern of the benzene ring.

That's one of those functional groups that you should always look for; fortunately it's pretty obvious (in most cases).

I don't see an aldehyde carbonyl in this spectrum (and again, this is another obvious peak).

For allyl, you would see the C=C bond stretch (that should be your short peak around 1760) and sp<sup>2</sup> C-H bond symmetric + asymmetric stretches + scissoring.

Of course, as Nicodem said, relying on IR alone to determine structure is not wise. It would be good to compare your spectrum to a spectral database.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 03:08

Haha oops getting confused between Eugenol and Vanillin... my bad!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 08:06

@Nicodem what does one have to do to view this page? I get a big red slash "forbidden" graphic.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 08:27

and every other published link leads me to sites in Japanese or pdf shot of the english language portal

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 06:31

The link should work now. Next time please search for the spectra manually. It only takes 15 seconds, which is less than I need to find it again and then edit the post.

Go To Top