Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good digital rotary evaporator!?
lukas
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2010 at 15:34
Good digital rotary evaporator!?

Is this a good evaporator, worth of buying ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ROTATIONSVERDAMPFER-viel-Zubehor-/1505219...
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 18-11-2010 at 15:47

Yes!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 18-11-2010 at 20:20

Whats that equate to in USD?

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 01:27

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Whats that equate to in USD?

??? type "55 euro in dollars" in google search window !!!

gsd
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 08:28

Very good indeed, but the vertical ones are not the easiest/handiest to use IMO.

But if you get it for less than 200 EUR ~ $270 US you be lucky, have been looking on ebay.de for a year now, and those tend to go for as much as 400-500 EUR.

Büchi and Heidolph are the only usable rotavapors at least for hobby chemists as parts are widely available, and they the ones with most experience producing them. Would myself go for a Büchi as the "most" older/newer models have interchangeable glass parts...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 13:39

I'd sell my soul for one of those!

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Very good indeed, but the vertical ones are not the easiest/handiest to use IMO.

Why is that? What's the practical difference? I thought the only real difference was that the vertical ones occupied less space.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 15:40

If one tilt the vertical to much, say with a small small flask to reach the water bath the condensed solvents will drip from the condensers (almost) back into the vapour tube and onto the rotary seal.
The vertical ones does not have the possibility for a long vapour tube either. These limits the use I feel, might only be my preferences but I've heard a couple other agreeing on that..

Depending on where you have the vacuum outlet, (most models have two, depending on long or short vapour tube situated in the start or the top of the condenser, but the vertical ones I've seen has only one in top of course) one might improve solvent recovery and evaporation rates. Had really good "yields" with a long vapour tube and horizontal setup, with vacuum drawn from the start of the condenser with the vapour tube extending beyond the vacuum outlet.

All this might be in my head but do not like the feeling when I bath my rotating seal in solvents, especially when when salts/compounds which have travelled with the vapours crystallize on the seal...

Does any of these make sense to others?

But on the contrary, the vertical ones take a little bit less bench space..

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 25-11-2010 at 13:24

there's more to it than that, the vertical ones are by far superior, in terms of space, flexibility and efficiency of use.
For small flasks the angled ones are tedious as the long vapour duct acts as a condenser, theres no chance of return down the vapour duct from the vertical dripping condenser, especially if you have it setup such that the drip feed/angled bit on the condenser after the ground glass joint is positioned correctly.
i often use it to steam distill by inserting teflon tube down through the vapour duct into the flask and running steam through this, it can be down with the longer vapour duct but is trickier and far less efficient.
Also with the vertical you have a excellent condenser you can use in other setups as it has a ggj, the angled one have the seal on the end and are not useable'

btw the price is at 700 euro now lol 8, about AUS$120 given current exchange rates (just kidding)

Go To Top