Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ureanitrate from KNO3 ?
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 00:06
Ureanitrate from KNO3 ?

Hi guys

I've got a problem with making Ureanitrate with KNO3.

I found some way to make it from 38% H2SO4 (107ml) + AN-solution (80g/50ml) + Ureasolution (150ml/31,2%) and this worked well, but if i change the AN with KNO3 i need more water to dissolve the Nitrate.

Then, i make it this way and i got no ureanitrate - i placed the mixture in the fridge-freezer (-18C) and no UN was visible, so what the hell is wrong with the KNO3-way ?

Please help me :( and Sry 4 my bad english skills :(

Vlad

[Edited on 2-12-2010 by VladimirLem]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 01:45

Solubility driven reactions must be favored by the differing solubilities of the reaction byproduct and desired product. The manipulations of temperature for isolation by crystallization and separations by filtrations must also be logical with regards to solubilities being exploited to accomplish the separations. You cannot simply substitute different nitrates and different acids without regard for the solubilities that govern. See attached file for solubility data on KNO3 and K2SO4 and think about what you are trying to perform as a process. There is an existing thread where some methods that can work are discussed. You may get some idea how to manage the reaction by reading that thread.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13470#...

The materials and process you are attempting is a difficult and inefficient method in comparison to better methods discussed and is probably not workable to obtain a pure product in good yield from a first crystallization. A mixed product is what you are going to get from an approach that really does not make sense, given the solubilities involved.
You are trying to do this the hard way, by not using a logical approach to the reaction using materials having solubilities that are favorable.

Attachment: Examples of solubility.pdf (33kB)
This file has been downloaded 577 times

[Edited on 2-12-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 04:03

Let's just shorten ureanitrate to urinate???

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 05:07

The best approach is to use Canna ph down vegetative phase hydroponic pH adjuster which is 38% nitric acid and urea.
Pure urea nitrate, no side products and a good yield.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 06:11

If you need salt you can make it from metallic sodium and elemental chlorine, or you can evaporate some sea water until some salt crystallizes out, whatever
method better meets your requirements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJJSuSNs1c&fmt=18 Holly Holy go full screen and open your eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDR5oRVarq8&fmt=18 Stones

[Edited on 3-12-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
hiperion42
Hazard to Self

Mood: overwhelmed

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:15

Potassium chloride's solubility in water is quite high.
Try hydrochloric acid to drive the reaction.

[Edited on 12-12-2010 by hiperion42]

.....ejuu....................................................................Ffg..............................g.............
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 11:03

Chlorides, nitrates, and strong acids, and thus HCl + nitrates, give HCl+HNO3, AKA aqua regia which means Cl2 and NOCl which will play havoc with the N2H4.

Go To Top