Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some organic chem questions
chemfan1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 16:54
Some organic chem questions

I know how to name alkanes and branched alkanes, but how do I name alkanes that have branches on other branches. For example, let's say I have decane in the straight chain isomer, then at the 5 carbon I have a propyl group and on the second carbon of the propyl group I have a methyl group. What do I call this? Would it be 5-(2-methylpropane)-decane or 5-(2-methylpropyl)-decane?

I know -yl is the suffix for alkane branches, but what about alkene or alkyne branches. Let's say I have pentane and attached at the 2 carbon is an ethene. What would this be called? 2-(ethene)-petane?

When a hydrocarbon has double and triple bonds what are they called? 1-butene-3-yne? but-1-ene-3-yne?

Which name is better accepted, 2-butene or but-2-ene (ignoring isomers).

Why are alkenes and alkynes more reactive than alkanes? Aren't double and triple bonds stronger? Is it because they are unsaturated and the hydrogens in alkanes provide a kind of shielding that protects the single bonds?
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 23:54

I'll start with the placement of the numbers: But-2-ene is apparently official, but both are accepted.

In terms of the branched chain, IUPAC says make the whole sidechain an -yl, but I very often see it. (i.e. I'm used to seeing your example as 5-(2-methylpropane)-decane. (Doesn't mwean it's 'right', though.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 23:57

Sorry, I forgot about the last bit.

Alkenes and alkynes are more reactive because they have those delicious extra electrons hanging out for electrophiles to attack. :D
When it gets down to a single bond, there are enough electrons to make a bond and no extraneous ones.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla

Go To Top