Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitro ester primaries
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy/ inquisitively eager

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 14:41
Nitro ester primaries

Is there any such thing as a fuse sensitive (will detonate from heat alone) primary that is something I can make with HNO3 (not the acid all by itself, of course, but with something that is obtainable OTC )?

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by prometheus1970]

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.
SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 22:11

If it were that easy, why would people still be messing around with organic peroxides and various improvised detonation methods for sensitive nitric esters?

The short answer is no. Some people have gotten ETN and MHN to detonate from normal fusing, but it's not reliable. The nature of a primary requires that it be both heat sensitive and capable of easily undergoing DDT. While many nitric esters are indeed heat sensitive, they do not DDT easily.

If you want a relatively safe OTC primary, find yourself some metallic silver and calcium carbide to go along with your nitric acid.

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 07:14

I'm working on an AG2C2 double salt synthesis currently. I think my problem is not completely dissolving the AGNO3. Should I crush it/grind into powder first, should I dissolve it in hot water? If I used modern u.s. coins (dimes, quarters) would the inevitable evolution of copper acetylide (in the final step of bubbling acetylene gas through soln.) make the resulting product (copper acetylide w/ silver acetylide) too sensitive to be useful?. I ask because I only bought 10 grams of AGNO3 and my supply is dwindling.

[Edited on 1-28-2011 by prometheus1970]

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 08:29

I don't want to lead this off track but putting some work into AgNO3 is never a waster of time as it's one of several continually valuable chemicals that has a phenomenal re-sale value and is almost an "investment" of sorts.
I actually never use sterling of monetary silver in my synthesis of Ag oriented materials becasue of the probability of copper being in there. There are actually much better yields with pure silver also. The technique I have used for years is to obtain 99.9 pure silver wire; typically in 30awg or finer (which is actually similar in price once a jewelry making supply is found) and cutting that up to 1/2" or one cm pieces before submersion in acid. The process is very fast and yields are about as high as possible. Quite factually if compared to commercial AgNO3 gram to gram, that self made product is so substantially cheaper that if one had a minor supply of acid & was a comfortable eBay seller, a fairly high profit margin would be made at almost any level.
The last time I saw "low end University lab prices" for AgNO3 it had maintained at nearly $500 per lb. Gram multiples prices were ridiculously high. Certain chemicals can really be money makers.

SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 10:21

Quote: Originally posted by prometheus1970  
I think my problem is not completely dissolving the AGNO3. Should I crush it/grind into powder first, should I dissolve it in hot water?

Are you sure you have pure AgNO3? The solubility of silver nitrate in water is extremely high, over 2g/mL at room temperature. Even large chunks of the material should dissolve easily.

Quote:
If I used modern u.s. coins (dimes, quarters) would the inevitable evolution of copper acetylide (in the final step of bubbling acetylene gas through soln.) make the resulting product (copper acetylide w/ silver acetylide) too sensitive to be useful?

Even if Cu+ ions are present, copper acetylide won't form in the reaction vessel. It's reactive with water and decomposes immediately upon formation. IIRC, the copper acetylide synthesis needs to be carried out in anhydrous ammonia.

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 11:27

THREE CHEERS FOR THE LEARNING CURVE!!!
Sweet success! This time I dissolved .9 grams finely ground AGNO3 in hot distilled water, reduced the gas flow rate a little and immediately got chonga loads of precipitate in my reaction vessel. I continued the bubbling for about 10 minutes before I ran out of CAC2 (this was my 3rd synth with only 8 oz.) I havent tested it yet, but I put cinder to about 60 (or maybe more, it was very fine, and kinda smushed into the filter paper) milligrams of product from last nights attempt. After I finished scraping the shit out of my drawers, I was quite pleased with my success. I refitered the remaining gram or so from last night's synth along with what looks like quite a bit more from today and am waiting for it all to dry so I can weigh it test it (a much smaller amount this time) and press it in a cap.

hiperion42
Hazard to Self

Mood: overwhelmed

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by quicksilver  

I actually never use sterling of monetary silver in my synthesis of Ag oriented materials becasue of the probability of copper being in there. There are actually much better yields with pure silver also. The technique I have used for years is to obtain 99.9 pure silver wire;

The Canadian silver maple leaf is of 99,99% purity. It should be
quite usable in the Ag2C2/AgNO3 synthesis.
High purity silver granules can be found at silversmiths.

.....ejuu....................................................................Ffg..............................g.............
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 12:34

Thanks, I found a jewelry supply website that has silver wire (waiting to hear back if it's pure or plated) 26 ga. $1.43 per foot)

franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 23:27

When I bought silver like this it sold then for $14 oz + mailing
Current value is over $ 28 oz and the retail premium.
http://cgi.ebay.com/One-1Troy-Ounce-999-Silver-Shot-Bullion-...

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 06:47

do I just need enogh HNO3 to submerge the silver? Is it better to let the (AGNO3) crystals form, dry them out and redissolve them for the solution through which I bubble the acetylene, or should I just add water to the AGNO3/HNO3 then bubble?

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 06:49

Also will the final product (AG2C2.AGNO3 double salt) perform better if pressed?

gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:59

Perhaps you should continue the discussion on silver acetylide in the Ag2C2.AgNO3 thread you started.

Oh, and silver is Ag not AG. Get it right, buster :P

Go To Top