Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: varian scimitar 800 ftir
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 04:40
varian scimitar 800 ftir

anyone got one, anyone have anything to report regarding them, do they have a matchable library available for them, is this hideously expensive, is it borrowable. i haven't run an ftir for a decade and someone (with a vested interest in the sale) was trying to tell me that ATR (previously used for polymer films largely) was now used for solid samples instead of pressing a disc (i had asked about the press, pie warmer, vac pump etc, which clearly they did not have).
I could be wrong perhaps a further fourier transform of the fourier transfor allows you to not even need a sample, its just knows....lol...still i have to ask because i don't actually know.
Everyone is still pressing tedious tedious Kbr plates when running solid organic samples in a ftir, yes, or has there been a innovation that i missed...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 07:03

I don't know about this particular model, but I can confirm that ATR is the way to go nowadays. It's as simple as pressing a few mg of your sample onto the lens and running it. I've used it many times for small molecules and it yields nice clean spectra very quickly. Be free of those tedious KBr plates!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
I don't know about this particular model, but I can confirm that ATR is the way to go nowadays. It's as simple as pressing a few mg of your sample onto the lens and running it. I've used it many times for small molecules and it yields nice clean spectra very quickly. Be free of those tedious KBr plates!

wow!! shit...ok guess im reading....those plates were so tedious and required all those extra bits and pieces...

Go To Top