Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick question on shaped charge cone
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 30-6-2022 at 13:53
Quick question on shaped charge cone

a fellow chemist asked me- would it not be better to have the cone in a rather concave curved shape like this- to assist the formation of the jet? to which, i really dont know what to answer. i can see the idea in it
it might have to utilize a slightly different angle
it almost feels like a pedantic difference, but i see his point. do they just make basic

https://gyazo.com/599e7e8f961f813ab0c6d3b55646515a

the closest ive seen to this would be from RPG7 warhead- but its only the first bit thats having a bit of a funny shape..?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/PG...

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:45

I believe they are called trumpet liners and reduce the required standoff.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 22:37

IIRC, one advantage of the trumpet liner is that it is not as sensitive to rotation (eg. from being fired from a rifled barrel) as the conical liner. Note that the RPG in the linked picture has an ordinary conical liner, it is just the stand off spacer that has a trumpet like shape.

AFAIK, the 60 degree cone is still the best geometry for a general purpose liner.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 01:53

I have seen liners with spiral groves meant to negate the effect of rotation, these were trumpet liners as well.

As for the conical standoff it's another trick to reduce standoff.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 23:21

Basic shape 60 degree with precise thickness of copper liner and exact density EM and mechanical symmetry is in amateur conditions most important. Special hyperbolic shaped liner not provide in amateur conditions better results.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 23:56

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
IIRC, one advantage of the trumpet liner is that it is not as sensitive to rotation (eg. from being fired from a rifled barrel) as the conical liner. Note that the RPG in the linked picture has an ordinary conical liner, it is just the stand off spacer that has a trumpet like shape.

AFAIK, the 60 degree cone is still the best geometry for a general purpose liner.

42-43 degrees provided the best penetration… hence what OWP use… which I would argue are more efficient in penetration than military warheads. At least common warheads. Hypercumlative charges are most impressive and contain a steel disk at the top of the cone. There are other exotic shapes… the most advanced and efficient being a cylindrical liner with the explosives wrapped around in spirals as this optimizes the angle of detonation to the angle of the liner. With this design zero stand-off is required, in theory the jet never degrades over distance and velocities of over 2xVOD is possible. This is why sensitive explosives such as UZP have great application. As a copper liner or boron nitride liner could be driven in the 20-30kms range. Strange things happen when the impact velocities approach 50kms… according to rumors. However… I think this research is buried deep in the secret archives of national laboratories. But I am sure a 50kms cylindrical liner IS possible. Perhaps periodate being dense could produce VODs over 12kms and make this possible along with a combination of an electric or magnetic impulse.

I ate Cheetos for breakfast

[Edited on 7-7-2022 by MineMan]

Go To Top