Printable Version  
Author: Subject: N2O synthesis
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 02:57
N2O synthesis

Hi Guys.

I am interested in the synthesis of Nitrous Oxide by the Hydroxylamine HCl and Sodium Nitrite method.

I saw a yt video which lacked a mention of stoichiometry. Anything else I should know about this reaction.

And no I don't plan on sniffing it, if I wanted to that I'd just go and buy a couple of whippets for 10 times less money.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 10:23

I have done this reaction several tims to generate chemically pure N2O for the barking dog rxn.

The trick with this reaction is using the right concentrations of hydroxylamine HCl and sodium nitrite solutions; too concentrated and the reaction will bubble/boil too vigerously and a runaway rxn will proceed, too dilute and the reaction will take forever and a lot of the N2O will dissolve in the solvet and be wasted (and trust me, N2O is surprisingly soluble in water, even mroe so in oil!)

What do you want to do with the N2O, may i ask, if you can buy it cheaper than performing this rxn?
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 14:40

I want to test how metals burn in Nitrous Oxide. I also want to make it for my youtube channel and just generally for the interest of making it.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 04:53

From urea, sulfuric acid nitric acids:

3 mol of 98% sulfuric acid was charged in to a 300 ml flask and, then, 1 mol of powdered urea was added to the sulfuric acid under stirring. After the urea was dissolved in the sulfuric acid, I mol of 68% nitric acid was gradually dropped into the solution. The reaction was carried out for 5 hours at a reaction temperature of 70°C. The formed reaction gas generated from the flash was washed with a 10% aqueous sodium hydroxide solution and 21,3 liters of nitrous oxide gas (containing 99.9% by volume of N2O) was obtained. Nitrogen oxides such as nitrogen monoxide and nitrogen dioxide were not observed in the generated gas mixture. In addition, a minor amount of the unreacted nitric acid and urea was observed in the resultant reaction mixture, but no sulfamic acid was observed.

I have done this and it works. IIRC it was important to dissolve the urea in the H2SO4 first and then add nitric.

[Edited on 30-3-2011 by Jor]
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 09:45

Hi Jor, what is the reference for that reaction? Looks very intersting, definitly something i should try out.

Go To Top