Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flash Suppresion?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 11:57
Flash Suppresion?

I have been involved in several movie and video SPFX projects recently. Some of the shots involve actors rigged with bullet hits- And the commercially available products we have access to have had far more flash than I like.

I've got some literature on reducing muzzle flash in artillery propellants, and a good bit on lowering heat of explosion for blasting in explosive atmospheres during coal mining. Bullet hits tend to utilize primary explosives with various adulterants intended to phlegmatize them and/or increase gas output... A rather different kettle of fish. Plus they shouldn't release heavy metals or other dangerous products, a large scene can run to dozens or even hundreds of hits. Typical explosive loadings for these "body hits" are 40 to 160 mg, some larger devices are occasionally used.

I'm reviewing patent literature and generally looking for any info I can find on visual flash reduction or (hopefully) elimination. Any thoughts?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 16:04

The "cooling effect of sodium chloride was one of the contributions of some "Soviet" patents (Cold War era material). TTBoMK - take a look at large Navel systems cooling methods patents and the cooling effects of triple based smokeless powder formulations: you may find what you're looking for there. The original concept of nitroguanadine addition in a powder was for cooling agenda as I understand it.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 18:20

Yes, good old Sodium chloride features in a lot of permissible explosives. Naoum mentions that use along with some other gun propellant flash reduction techniques from around WWI.

I've actually got some guanidine nitrate to hand, left over from experiments with blue strobes a while back. I recall the rational behind the old Jettex propellant formulation included a low exhaust temperature too-

Another desirable feature in a bullet hit would be as little smoke as possible. Just doesn't look right to have your shot actors smoking "but not inhaling". People might mistake them for Bill Clinton.

[Edited on 31-3-2011 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top